Question for exercisers (cross-post)

future former fat chick
on 1/8/07 12:54 am - Baltimore, MD

I was wondering, what most of you are doing in terms of types of exercises, how long, and how many days per week.  One of my new years resolutions is "working out smarter" so I am trying to think up some ways of shaking things up in my exercise routine.  I currently do both cardio and strength training and have seen wonderful results.  I work out at home and use exercise videos; in terms of equipment, I have hand weights and wrist/ankle weights ranging from 1 pound to 8 pounds. I also have an aerobic step (adjustable from 4 to 8 inches), a stretchie band and one of those resistance cords with handles.  I confess that I don't use the stretchie band or resistance cord very often.  I recently bought a stability ball and have used it once.  I "HATE" using machines and joining a gym is not an option - I just don't groove on the whole "gym" scene.  I basically like all types of cardio, except kickboxing - I'll do kick boxing if I have to, but I don't love it.  I like pilates but I am not flexible enough to try yoga (plus I can't get past the idea that something that does not make you sweat or at least breathe heavy is a complete waste of time).

Basically, I can realistically commit to about an hour per day for exercise.  When I was newly post-op, I worked out for much longer periods of time (I think I was a bit obsessive/compulsive about it) but I have since returned to school in the evening and between that and a full-time job, spending half the evening exercising is out of the question - and don't suggest working out in the morning since I already get up at 5:00 to be to work at 6:30 a.m.  In any case, I honestly beleive that I can give my body what it needs in an hour - if I work out "smarter" hence this thread.  One thing I have already started doing is shifting to higher impact/higher intensity cardio to get the same calorie burn in less time. 

So, what do you think? I know we cannot compare since we are all different but we can still learn from each other!  Thanks.

Hugs, Tracy

Jesus is so good to me;  I couldn't ask for a better friend, protector, leader, savior!

jennfraker
on 1/8/07 9:00 am - OH
Hi Tracy.. Have you thought of an elliptical?  I use it at the gym for cross training.  I love it and it always challenges me.  I recently started a class at the gym with the stability ball..and I would suggest finding a good video to use with the  ball you already have at home.  I love the class and it is making a huge difference in my physique. Good Luck, Jenn

335/160/160 -175  At Goal!!!

Most Active