Eliptical machines

CW
on 1/2/07 7:15 am - Western, CO
Hi, I am pre surgery and hopeful that it will happen sometime soon.  I want to get into a good exercise routine now.  I have a treadmill but it hurts my knees, and ankles so I was looking into a elptical machine but dont know where to start.  Looking for a good brand under $ 800 if possible or at least what to look for. Thank you for any information, Chrissy
Jess R.
on 1/2/07 1:48 pm
Hi there, just had to reply. I got my elliptical machine last winter prior to surgery as well. I bought mine when I weighed 360. When I started my 6 month diet. I really wanted to lose as much as I could prior to surgery. With two young boys in the dead of winter walking was very hard dragging them with me, and money being an issue I couldnt afford a great stylish one. But I did buy one for 150.00 at walmart over a year ago.  It has changeable resistency, heart monitor, speed, calories burned, fat cals burned, miles, and time, and a cup holder. I used it almost everyday weighing well over 300 lbs. and still continue to use. Best thing I could have done for myself. Completely worth every penny and then some. I can not tell you which to buy or what to look for but do invest in one they are fantastic! Good luck on your journey! HUGS -Jessi
CW
on 1/2/07 11:30 pm - Western, CO
Jessi, Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it.  I also have a young son so when we go for walks, it is never very intense.  I will have to check out walmarts.  I figured they wouldn't be strong enough for me and my husband.  But that is great to know.  I was looking at the ones at Sears and doing the no interest thing.  Thank you again,  Chrissy
Kelli Chan
on 1/3/07 9:04 am - Ridgeley, WV
Chrissy, I purchased my elliptical just prior to my surgery, and started using it regularly at 6 weeks post op. I did A LOT of research online, even subscribing to Consumer Report b/c what I found was you really do get what you pay for...that being said I didnt have a lot of money, but I did invest in one for about $800...it was on sale and it was rated a best buy from Consumer Report. They stated if you are going to use it regularly, 3 or more times a week, you need to get a sturdy machine. I got a Schinn 410 elliptical...it has about 10 different pre progammed workouts, which you can change the intensity one, as well as a manual program, and 3 heart rate programs. It measure speed, time, distance, calories burned, and RPM's.  I love the elliptical, and have been using it 6 days a week for over a  year now...I also just ordered a recumbent bike, just to break up the cardio routine. I highly recommend an elliptical, but I strongly suggest doing some research...it is a major investment, so you want the most bang for your buck! Good luck! Kelli

Kelli
256/139/130?

Love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the 
money, and dance like nobody's watching

Kelli Chan
on 1/3/07 9:05 am - Ridgeley, WV
Sorry, the model is a SCHWINN 410---they make Bowflex---also, you want to make sure the warranty is pretty good, b/c they say that gives you an idea of the longevity of the product...

Kelli
256/139/130?

Love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the 
money, and dance like nobody's watching

Most Active