Skin support while exercising?

leanner977
on 12/31/06 4:29 am - Hobart, IN
I'm down about 100lbs since my RNY in April.  Til now i've just been walking and doing some weight training for my exercise...but I want to step it up a notch.  A friend of mine and I have decided we want to do a 1/2 marathon in 2008 with some short (5k and 10k) races between now and then.  The problem is, with 100lbs gone I have got a substantial amount of extra skin...my apron is ridiculous!   So what would you recommend to hold the gut in place so a) it doesn't screw up my balance while running, b) it doesn't get stretched or damaged (thus saggier) from the tension of flopping and c) it doesn't knock down the people running around me. I have some bike shorts I usually wear under other clothes (no one needs to see my in just spandex LOL) and they help...but do they make anything more supportive than that? Thanks!

Leann ~~~ My WLS site

Sharyn
on 1/1/07 12:56 am - Columbus, OH
I had the same problem wen I wanted to start doing step aerobics. My skin would just make too much noise when trying to jump around. I don't know what size you are, but I got girdles at Avenue and now I get them at Target. The biker short types hold in the thighs and the apron. Also, I bought an upper body garment at morrisdesigns.com that held down the back flaps and the wings. I don;t know how much you're willing to spend, but they also have excellent garments at slendertouch.com and lipoinabox.com When I bought the ones at Avenue, I caught sales and used coupons to get them pretty cheeply. I'm always watching Target for clearance. hope this helps Sharyn
Scott William
on 1/2/07 11:46 am
Sharyn, One of the first times I went running on the road I heard this flopping sound that was in rhythm with my running.  It took about three more runs to figure out that it was my floppy skin.  I thought it was pretty funny at the time but I was alone. Take care Scott
Sharyn
on 1/2/07 12:02 pm - Columbus, OH
That is hillarious Scott!!!!!
Sharyn 307/148/145.....165 (need to focus)
Scott William
on 1/2/07 11:43 am
Oh what a problem it is.  I just let mine flop around but the noise gets annoying.  I have bought some compression spandex that come up high enough to hold down the skin.  The one time I attempted this, I wore those and a tight undershirt with a loose shirt over it.  It worked well holding everything in.  Good luck Scott
Kat C
on 1/5/07 2:14 pm - Tuscaloosa, AL
One of the replies reminds me of the time I took the steps down from my porch at a run - I got to the bottom and was sure I heard applause! Looked around, nobody anywhere. It dawned on me that the sound of many people clapping was actually the sound of many loose places flapping and slapping when I landed at the bottom! :-) Seriously, I have just begun jogging, and this is a big problem for me. It'll be quite some time before I'm ready to think about surgery, and I have been looking and looking at serious compression garments to hold all this stuff together for me. I have been experimenting with different support undergarments, and will be very interested in the replies to your post!
Most Active