Help me get started - I have no clue

BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 12/21/06 3:42 am - Dallas, TX
This exercise thing is foreign to me.  8 weeks out and I am finally feeling like I have the energy to exercise but I don't know where to begin.  I was thinking about Denise Austin's Daily Workout at 6:30 am on Oxygen then an hour of Inhale Yoga just before bed.  Am I even on the right track? Any advice is appreciated.  Walking isn't an option due to our Pacific NW winter weather.

The Future Skinny Me  
     160 lbs lost - GOAL! (but I still want to lose 20 more)

JKM36
on 12/21/06 12:51 pm - Kansas City, MO
It really doesn't matter what you do just start moving:) I think those are wonderful ideas! Just do the best that you can. It will be hard, but you can do it!!! Remember to drink lot's of water whatever workout that you are doing. It will help you lose. Best wishes and keep us updated! I've just started the workouts myself. I'm 2 years post op, but started very heavy. I am walking and being as active as I can be. I'm joining the local gym that is just for women as soon as I get enough cash:) Best wishes! Janet 368/280/199
BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 12/22/06 2:10 am - Dallas, TX
Thanks for the info, I am gonna join a women's gym as well when I can afford it.  For now, I am on my own.

The Future Skinny Me  

BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 12/22/06 2:13 am - Dallas, TX
Aside from rainy, it is only light from 8 am -4:30 pm.  I live in an area where tons, really, of people walk daily.  But in the winter, it is rare to see one person.  Plus I have a toddler and no way to keep him out of the rain.  And by the time I am done getting both of us ready I just blew the little time I had to begin with.  Walking won't be an option until summer when I can get up with the sun at 5 am. Thanks for the input though.

The Future Skinny Me  

Maryland
on 12/22/06 1:40 am - Rockville, MD

Consistency and regularity are key.  You will start out slowly, but as you lose weight you will be amazed at how much progress you can make.   There is an article on this site that says walking 2 miles (nonstop) every day is the most effective conditioning exercise there is.  And it apparently doesn't matter how fast it is, just how far/long you go. I started out by walking.  I also got a rowing maching for my house (I made sure to get one that would support 250+ pounds).   Rowing is a nice low-impact exercise that burns a lot of calories, and helps tone pretty much your entire body.   I did both of those for about 6 months.  Then I started back to the gym when I had lost a good bit of weight.  Now I do weights, and walking/jogging at the gym, as well as rowing.  It took a good 4 months at the gym to get to a fairly good level, but the results for my body were amazing.   So don't try to do too much at first.  Slow and steady is good.  And you will rapidly improve your health.  Good luck!

BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 12/22/06 2:17 am - Dallas, TX
Do you have a link to that article? Walking is out till summer, but I am really looking forward to it.  I never thought of a rowing machine, but I like it.  My hubby has bad knees so I have been looking for something on craigslist that will be good for both of us.  I have only been looking for bikes, now I can check into rowers. This summer, if I have lost enough weight I plan on kayaking and bike riding. It is just hard to get motivated and find something that works in the winter.  And really, I am not sure what is good and what is not.  Thank you so much. 

The Future Skinny Me  

Maryland
on 12/22/06 2:24 am - Rockville, MD
I really love rowing.  I used to be the only one at the gym using the rowers, but I've noticed more and more people using them.  At first, 5 minutes on the rower seems like an eternity, but if you add a couple of minutes every other day, pretty soon you are up to 20 minutes.  The walking article is under  Cardiovascular Training on the left-side menu on this page.  It is on the right hand side of the first page - Walking as a Primary.... something.
BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 12/22/06 2:38 am - Dallas, TX
I am so glad you pointed that article out.  It was quite a good read.  It really makes me want to walk and walk first thing in the morning.  Now if only the weather would cooperate. Thanks again!

The Future Skinny Me  

Scott William
on 12/22/06 6:25 am

Here is my two cents.  Join a gym.  Don't worry about not affording it.  You will save enough on food for a week to pay for a monthly membership.  Find a gym with a daycare for your little one.    Go for it. Scott

BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 12/22/06 6:36 am - Dallas, TX
Thanks for your 2 cents, I can at least shop around.  There is no charge for that.

The Future Skinny Me  

Most Active