Jeremy or Earl?

LostInTheNet
on 12/2/06 1:34 am - Metrowest, MA
I have a question I recently started taking creatine and this past week I gained 5lbs is this normal? I have been working out harder and can lift more have added 40lbs to bench press but 5lbs of weight in one week this seems a bit much? I typically work out for 2-3 hrs 5 times a week on mondays,wendays,saterday I lift and tuesdays and tursdays just do 2 hrs of cardio. All days cardio of at leat 1 hr is done the my circuit rotine and some free weights. Do you typically gain weight after you first start taking the creatine? Doug.

“Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles.? Charlie Chaplin 

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; What we have done for others and the world is immortal" -Albert Pike 

"The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else. The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self."-Whitney Young

Earl C.
on 12/2/06 3:01 am - Circleville, OH
Hey Doug. It's normal and usually what people that take creatine want. It's mainly water weight, but it's being absorbed in the cells not under the skin. As long as you're getting stronger and the belt's not getting tighter it's doing what it's supposed to do. It's not uncommon for someone to gain 10 pounds in 2 to 4 weeks. At your stage I think you should be more concerned with body composition (bodyfat percentage) than scale weight. You're doing great btw. Earl
LostInTheNet
on 12/2/06 4:00 am - Metrowest, MA
Thanks Earl no the belt actually is looser I lost 2 inches around the waist but was bothered by the 5lb increase. I like the increase in upper arm strenght but I ahve a goal weight and If I keep adding I will not get there. I was there for about a week at what my orginal goal was. Yes my surgen tells me that I should not care what the scale says but I have not bought into it yet. I still need to loose 60lbs to get to normal for my heght by the bmi chart. But have been told by both my trainer and dr that the bmi will not work for me as it does not take into acccount lean musle for an athleate. Whit the running and weight training that I am doing I was told not to worry about it but I can't help it. thanks for the reply. Doug.

“Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles.? Charlie Chaplin 

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; What we have done for others and the world is immortal" -Albert Pike 

"The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else. The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self."-Whitney Young

Earl C.
on 12/3/06 8:28 am - Circleville, OH
Hi Doug, I think everyone wish they got your results. Surgery or no surgery. You're doing great. In reading your reply it reminded me of an article I just read. I really value this guy's opinion, so I'll attach the link. Basically,  you're answering your own questions I think. http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=6780F4AF6866 7A8E02E299A094AD19F7.hydra?id=1356801
JeremyGentles
on 12/5/06 4:29 am - Johnson City, TN
As Earl said, this amount of weight gain is often typical when you begin taking creatine.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Most Active