sore muscles

karimc
on 11/29/06 12:45 pm - Fort Riley, KS
On Tuesday I worked out at the gym on the weight machines for the first time since my surgery 5 months ago.  I have been walking 4 miles twice weekly and knew I needed to add the gym time.  My problem is that I overdid it on Tue and used almost all the machines and worked all the major muscle groups and now I can barely walk.  I am so sore.  What do you suggest to ease the pain and how soon should I get back into the gym? 
Mary M.
on 11/30/06 2:12 am - Neverland, CA

I know this will sound crazy, however you need to continue to walk through the pain. If you have a pool at your gym get in swim or just walk and stretch you will recover quickly.  I did the same when I first started...I called this finding my muscles...and when I thought I had found them all...I discovered new ones with each new activity or move.

*♥´¨)¸.·
;♥¸.·*♥´¨) ¸.♥·*¨)
(¸.♥´ (¸.♥· )
MM~

415/154       
We write our own destiny; we become what we do. ~ Madame Chiang Kai-Shek 

karimc
on 11/30/06 3:32 am - Fort Riley, KS
Thank you Mary for the reply.  I did go to the gym this morning and worked on the eliptical machine.  I stayed away from the weights though.  I think I will give my body an extra day or two of rest. 
BabyRuth2u
on 11/30/06 8:19 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi, sorry to hear that you got so sore. As the other poster mentioned, just trying to keep going, even at a much slower, lower pace, will help. Just to keep you loosened up best you can. Build as you go, you don't have to win the race the first day. :)  For future reference after not overdoing it :)  remember to stretch afterwards also. I usually between different machines, weights etc will do some stretching. Nothing major, just enough to stretch out the muscles. And I've followed also that within the hour after working out that I have some good protein.  99% of the time that would be a whey protein shake. I've heard and read that it is good to get protein in at that time to help your muscles heal/ repair. I think I've done well with my exercise since I started, have added things, pushed myself and have not had more than once or twice with minimal soreness and that went away quickly (by next morn etc)  No one has to live by the "no pain, no gain" theory. LOL Good luck to you! Keep up with the exercise and enjoy! :)
Most Active