Running Question....;o)

Teresa A.
on 11/28/06 9:24 am - Charlotte, NC
Good Evening All, I have a question for any of you runners out there. Last weekend I walked my first ever 5k Race. It took me 49 minutes but I finished it! I had surgery 18 mths. ago and have lost 161 lbs., with at least another 45lbs. to go. My asthma is much better now but when I tried to run for part of the race, I could only run about 15 sec. because I couldn't breathe. My legs were fine though. It wasn't asthma, just couldn't breathe. I just got back from my gym and managed to run for 1 minute, 3 different times during my 35 minutes on the treadmill. My trainer is not crazy about the idea of me wanting to run, but it feels so good when I do. Well after all that...is it "normal" to only be able to run 10-60 sec. when first trying to run? thanks for any input! Teresa

Teresa
Lap RNY/June 8, 2005
350.4/183.0/150.0

Christine D
on 11/28/06 10:28 am - Mount Penn, PA
Hi Teresa! When I first started running, I could only do a minute or two then I would walk for 5 then try again.  I did this forever and really only ever worked up to 4 minutes of running.  Friend of mine suggested making my speed slower (like a realllllly slow jog, like 4.4) so I did, and the first time I did it, I ran a half a mile and was not winded at all.  Now about 3 weeks later I can run a mile to a mile and a half (jogging, but not slow) before I need to slow down (bad knees).   Just take it slow and easy and you will get there...if I can, anyone can! Christine
lmt516
on 11/29/06 9:25 pm - Brant Rock, MA
Hi Teresa,               I started really slow also. I walked for my first 3 months before I even attempted to run. Now 18 months later I do intervals, walk/run. I pretty much hold at 2min walk then 10 min run. I set the TM at 4.1 on the walk and 5.5 on the run.  It took my a year to build to this so take it slow and at your own pace. Really listen to your body add in pace and time slowly.  And I also suggest you add some strength training, just a little for your lower back expecially. Hey who knows maybe you will join me in a marathon someday - Good Luck Lisa
Most Active