not loosing.... gaining?+-

dorisp
on 11/20/06 5:36 am - San Antonio, TX
Hi, I was banded 12/22/05  I have lost 100 lbs  246 to 146 I began a walking program of 2 miles per day 5 days a week in Nov of 2005 I took 6 weeks off for a Tummy tuck in Aug In Oct I started  1 hour Body Pump class followed by 30 min Eliptical one day and alternating with some sort of cario work out the following day 6 days a week. I have stopped loosing weight even tho I only take in 1200-1300 calories per day.  I supplement protien when nessecary . I really want to loose the last 10 lbs to achieve goal. What recommendations does anyone have?  I feel like I'm doing all the right things and getting no where.... well not no where. I know all this expercise to excellant for my health.   Suggestions anyone. Doris
Cards Fan
on 11/20/06 8:19 am

Doris, For the amount of physical activity your getting, it is likely that 1200-1300 calories/day simply is not enough to fire your metabolism and continue burning fat as desired.  Your body could actually be hoarding fat, stopping your weight loss, as a way to make-up for the caloric deficit.  As your weight decreases and your fitness level increases, your caloric requirements are going to change and you'll need more.  Less does not always equal more when it comes to calories and weight loss.   My suggestion to you is to increase your calories...do it gradually and track your weight loss as you increase to determine if the additional calories are enough to fire the metabolism or if more are required.  I'd also suggest that you supplement protein on a regular basis.  The addition of protein can help you achieve your goal of adding calories, plus that same protein will assist in the building of lean muscle which leads to more efficient burning of fat by the body.

What you are experiencing is not at all uncommon.  Give these suggestions a try and let us know how it goes.

Best Wishes!

Cards Fan

STEP OFF THE SIDELINES AND GET IN THE GAME!

LYnn
on 11/20/06 8:39 am - Upland, CA
There are times you just have to shake things up to get more weight loss. Add calories for a few days then return to a lower caloric intake. Consistently add more water each day. Change your exercise, the body needs change to lose weight. Make sure you are eating something small and full of lean protein every 2-3 hours to boost your metabolism. These are things my surgeon has suggested and seem to work for me. All the best to you on your weight loss journey and CONGRATULATIONS on your 100 lb loss, Lynn
Mary_S
on 11/21/06 5:45 am - Mohnton, PA
Hi Doris!  I have a very similar post from a couple of weeks ago on this message board.  I had really started to increase the time and intensity of my workout , was only eating about 1300 calories a day and you guessed....not losing any weight.  I was so frustrated because I thought I was doing great.  I received the same advice as far as increasing calories.  I honestly was a little timid about it at first but I added in 200-300 calories a day of quality food and the scale started moving again...in the right direction.  That was about 2-3 weeks ago and I have had a loss ever week.  Good luck! Mary
Most Active