Nutrition and exercise

Mary_S
on 11/14/06 11:02 pm - Mohnton, PA
Okay, I am hoping some one could shed some light on a nutrition question have.  I typically plan my day so that I can have a snack after I workout.  My question is what is the best type of snack to eat and is it dependent on the type of exercise?  I am not sure if it's better to drink a protein shake after weights and cardio or is it better to have a snack with both protein and carbs.  I would love to hear any suggestions that you all may have. Thanks. Mary
JeremyGentles
on 11/15/06 12:57 am - Johnson City, TN
Mary, Good question. There is no doubt that consuming a combination of carbohydrate and protein is the most effective.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Cards Fan
on 11/15/06 3:44 am
Mary, Jeremy is correct that a combination of protein and good carbohydrates is the best choice for snacking post workout.  If I may take it a step further, I'd like to offer some snack suggestions in no particular order: 1.  Protein shake (whey protein is optimal) with banana and/or blueberry 2.  Peanut Butter (all natural or sugar free) on Rice Cake 3.  Lowfat Yogurt and Fresh Berries 4.  Hummus on whole wheat toast, crackers or pita slices (hummus is underestimated) 5.  Tuna (fat free or light mayo) on whole wheat 6.  Deli Turkey & Cheese slices and an small apple All of these give you the carbohydrates you need to replenish energy and some additional protein to help you recover from workout and build muscle.  Don't be afraid of carbohydrates - simply be cautious of the types of carbs you're consuming.  The suggestions above are just that suggestions...hopefully the list wil give you ideas for other great carb/protein combinations that help provide an excellent finish to your workout. Best wishes! Cards Fan Springfield, MO STEP OFF THE SIDELINES AND GET IN THE GAME!
Mary_S
on 11/15/06 6:12 am - Mohnton, PA

Thank you guys for the suggestions!  I will try to use some of the ideas! I have just read so many things and I wasn't sure what was the best...thanks for the clarification. Mary

Most Active