Help with calorie needs please!

Mary_S
on 11/1/06 7:02 am - Mohnton, PA
Hi!  I am 2 1/2 years post-op.  For two years, I was diligent about my exercise and eating right.  Well, about 5 months ago, I honestly got lazy and started making poor food decisions.  I gained back about 15 pounds.  The past month I have started back at the gym 5-6 times per week.  I do at least 45 minutes of cardio 4 times a week (running and elliptical) and weight training 3 days a week.  Now here's the problem.  I lost 4-5 pounds total during the first two weeks but haven't lost an ounce since then.  I am keeping my calories around 1300.  Is that enough calories or do you have any other suggestions workout wise that would help jump start my weight loss?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mary
JeremyGentles
on 11/2/06 12:31 am - Johnson City, TN
Mary, How are you?  If you are going to keep your level of activity as high as you are now you actually need more calories; somewhere around 1500 calories a day should be sufficient.  Your goal should not only include keeping your bady fat percentage down but also increasing the amount of muscle tissue you have. Since building muscle is an anabolic process you need more calories than your current diet of 1300 calories is providing you. Adding some muscle will give you a little extra secuirty in terms of keeping fat weigh off even during times you eat more than what you should. Additionally, please make sure that you are not using body weight as the only measure of whether or not you are doing well. Consider some of the following: -  Take a look at the way your clothes fit.  -  If you are getting stronger it is possible that you are gaining muscle which is a good thing.  - If you do weigh yourself, do it at the same time every day; preferably in the morning after you have used the restroom and before eating.  Hope this helps.  Jeremy Genltes, CSCS ObesityHelp Professional
Mary_S
on 11/2/06 5:21 am - Mohnton, PA
Thanks Jeremy!  I was just really getting frustrated and am trying to figure out what is going wrong.  I will try to up my calories a little bit and see if that helps.  Thank you so much for supporting this forum.  You are a great asset. Mary
Most Active