Suggestions and Motivators please!

cindy platt
on 10/26/06 2:55 am - Stockton, IL
Hi Everyone- I am new to this forum although I follow the main messageboard almost every day. I am 11 months out of surgery and I have lost 126 lbs. I am at 183 lbs and 5'5" tall. I would love to get to 150 lbs.  I am 40 years old.  My main exercise since surgery has been walking outside and on a treadmill. I want to kick up my exercise routine this Winter, do something fun and serious.  I am at a loss.  I live in a rural area and the nearest thing to a health club is 45 minutes away (not out of my realm of possibilities at this point.   I feel really good!  I feel so much better than a year ago at this time.  I know at this point the exercise will make or break my success. Any help or suggestions would be so appreciated!  I never thought I'd want to exercise, but now I do.  I just am at a loss now. Thanks! Kindest Regards- Cindy Platt
ChristineB
on 10/27/06 9:56 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
Let's see Stockton is out by Rockford and near Galena, am I correct? How far are you from a good size inside mall where you can go with others and do some serious inside mall walking? How about purchasing videos or DVDs for you to do inside in front of the TV when it is really cold out? I like Leslie Sansone, Walk Away the Pounds. It incorporates aerobic with a little bit of weights. They are all easy and only have 3-4 different steps to them. Walk in place, side steps, back kicks and front kicks. You cannot do them wrong. Even if she goes right you can go left it does not matter. She has several intensities, 1, 2 & 3 miles, a couple inspirational with christian music, Abs. You name it she has it. She has a web site. http://www.lesliesansone.com/  You can get these and other types of these recordings from large sporting goods stores, like Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority and also Amazon.com. I did not want to go out on Tuesday evening because it was raining here in the Chgo area, you had it before us. So, I popped in her 3 mile walk and 50 minutes later I felt great. I am an outside runner and it had been a while since I had done her 3 miler and thought that I would ace it. I was using different muscle groups than with running. I was a little sore Wednesday. It is good to shake up the routine. So you are smart in thinking ahead to the next season so that you can keep your groove going. Good luck, hopefully others will have some more ideas for you. Chris

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

yogarn
on 10/30/06 10:10 am - INGERSOLL, Canada

I have seen alot of people in my small town cross country walking. You can get these poles like the ones used for cross country sking that incorporate more upper body movement while walking. there are also lots of great videos that you could try, like learning how to dance, yoga, kick boxing.  If you get snow where you live why not learn how to ski or skate.  Hope you find the right routine, good luck with your goals.

[
ChristineB
on 10/31/06 9:27 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
The cross country walking that you are referring to is called Nordic Walking. My rec center has a club for it. The ladies and guys that do it really walk at a good clip, the poles really seem to help them walk faster. CB

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Most Active