post surgery question

blossomivy
on 10/23/06 2:14 pm - reseda, ca
Hi there ihad the Rny in 2001 and since had 2 beautiful children. along with them I gained back 30 pounds that i can not for the life of me get rid of. Please answer with any helpful hints. I intake 70grams of protien a day and stay away from carbs and sugar and greasy things. my pouch is 3 oz ( had it tested couple months back) and I still dump and I am lactose intolorant now. I am very dicouraged and due to have a tummy tuck in December. Need at least 15 pounds by then. Please help me.
Earl C.
on 10/24/06 12:44 pm - Circleville, OH

I have a few questions for you. What's your weight now? About how many calories are you getting every day? How much exercise do you do now? How active are you? (with 2 kids I'm sure you answer very) From just what you wrote 70 grams of protein is only 280 calories and if you're staying away from carbs, sugar and fat, you're probably not eating enough calories and your metabolism has probably shut down.  General rule of thumb is eat less, move more to lose fat. But taking your calories below a certain level just shuts the furnance off. Like a fire with no wood. Off hand I'd say jack up the protein about double what you're getting now. Increase the good carbs and get some healthy fats like fish oil or flax seed oil or meal. Try to eat about 5 or 6 small meals a day with some protein in each. Start exercising if you're not already. Go back to what helped you lose in the beginning. Walking is still number one in my book. But if you can run or job, go for it. Earl

blossomivy
on 10/24/06 5:00 pm - reseda, ca

my weight now is 208 i dont know how many calories I have 3 kids total and I walk a mile everyday (with the dog) most of the time fast  i work 2 jobs go tot school plus the kids so i am not inactive but maybe not as active as I should be I hate exercise 4 letter word ! I eat about 4 meals a day with healthy snacks or protien bars inbetween and, I feel like I am explaining myself, i feel as if I have failed even though I cannot eat as much as a preop but I can definetly eat more now after 5 years. I will try to increase the protien and the exer...cise!(see 4 letter word) thanks so much!

Earl C.
on 10/25/06 2:36 am - Circleville, OH
After the first year or so it's really easy to go back to bad habits and behaviors. I know I'm a stress eater and I don't really dump so cookies are my enemy.  In most ways we're no different than an average person trying to keep the weight off or lose it after the first year. I know some RNYers the can down a lot of food in one sitting. I'm more of a grazer which isn't any better. I try to get my good protein and veggies in first so I don't have room for the junk. As far as exercise. Find something you like to do and do it. I'm not telling you to join a gym or start running because you won't keep it up if you hate it that much. Exercise isn't a quick fix that you do for 2 months and quit. It's something that should be done every day for the rest of your life to keep you healthy. Good luck. I didn't mean to put you on the defensive. But you asked. Earl (((Cookie)))
Most Active