Target Heart Rate- HELP

Tracy
on 10/22/06 8:11 am - Arlington, TX
Hello forum! I am new here. I can't believe I didn't know this forum existed! I have been a member of OH for going on 2 yrs. I had lapband surgery March 1, 2005 and have lost 120lbs. Anyway, I am glad I found this message board (just when I thought I had been to every forum here!). I have started my own exercise challenge on my web site http://www.tracyslapband.com/challenge.htm  and with my surgeons email group. Long ago I used to know what was the optimal target heart rate for fat burning but I cannot remember. Is it 55% to 75% of your maximum heart rate? I have calculated my resting and maximum and have the percentages, I just can't remember what percentage is good for the "fat burning zone". Thanks for your help!

Lapband 3/1/05
Lost 120 lbs-gained 50lbs back
Sleeved 6/2/09-Lost 20lbs gained it back after hysterectomy on 1/15/10

As of 11/7/2015 I have gained all my weight plus some. I weigh 313lbs. I blame it on steroid injections I received for my back, the cymbalta i am on for fibromyalgia, I was on Lyrica for 3 months and gained 30lbs, and I found out I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis as well as Pcos. I had back surgery and had to lay flat for three months which didn't help either only to find out a year later the surgery was a failure. I now have a spinal cord injury and I am in a wheelchair! So much has happened since I last visited this site. The only thing I can do is swim. I am going to try and do this at least 2 times a week and work up to more!

Cards Fan
on 10/23/06 12:37 am

Target Heart Rate is 60 percent to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate.  Maximum heart rate is the upper limit of what your cardiovascular system can handle during physical activity.  There are several heart rate monitors on the market which you can buy at stores like Target, K-mart, GNC or even Ebay...these will do the work for you and provides the information real-time without the need to stop exercising to get a reading. Hope this helps! Cards Fan Springfield, MO

Tracy
on 10/23/06 10:45 am - Arlington, TX
Thanks so much for the answer! I received a call today from someone from OH, it wasn't you was it? It was hard to hear the name on my answering machine. Anyway, thanks for responding!! So I am guessing that If I stay around 65% to 70% I am in that "fat burning zone" without overdoing it? See, I can't run, but I speed walk and I don't want to go over my target rate for fat burning. Yes, I would like to save up and get one of those monitors because stopping is hard once I have a rythm!

Lapband 3/1/05
Lost 120 lbs-gained 50lbs back
Sleeved 6/2/09-Lost 20lbs gained it back after hysterectomy on 1/15/10

As of 11/7/2015 I have gained all my weight plus some. I weigh 313lbs. I blame it on steroid injections I received for my back, the cymbalta i am on for fibromyalgia, I was on Lyrica for 3 months and gained 30lbs, and I found out I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis as well as Pcos. I had back surgery and had to lay flat for three months which didn't help either only to find out a year later the surgery was a failure. I now have a spinal cord injury and I am in a wheelchair! So much has happened since I last visited this site. The only thing I can do is swim. I am going to try and do this at least 2 times a week and work up to more!

JeremyGentles
on 10/25/06 4:54 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello Tracy, It was me that called you a couple of days ago.  There is a lot more to this issue than just exercising at a heart rate that is considered the "fat burning zone." Training in the fat burning zone is NOT the best way to lose fat. This is a major misconception and I would love to take the time to speak with you and explain a bit further.  You are welcome to call me at 866-957-4636 ext. 357.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Melissa May
on 11/2/06 4:43 am - Toledo, OH
Hi Jeremy! I'm interested in hearing your answer on this question also, as I was under the same misconception! Can you post what is the best heart rate to be at while exercising?!?! I've been walking on the treadmill 4-5 times a week with alternating inclines at between 3.4 - 3.9 mph (depending on the incline) and my heart rate seems to be between 155 - 175.  Thanks!
~Melissa May

Most Active