water walking

ohiostar
on 10/12/06 4:47 am - Lancaster, OH
I am over 300 lbs and have severe arthrisis in my knees so I have been water walking about an hour 3 times a week.  I know I am working my muscles because I am tired after getting out ot the pool.  My question is is this a good cardio workout as I don't get out of breath or feel any real exhertion.  You must realize that for me to walk 100 yards I am out of breath so I just want to be sure I am helping myself and doing the right thing. Dianna
Connie K.
on 10/12/06 6:20 am - Portville, NY

I think it's fabulous that you are working out 3 times/wk.  When I first started working out in January, I weighed 381 lbs.  Like you, me knees couldn't take the pounding from walking.  Now, I can walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a good pace and feel fine.  My doctor told me that anything that gets your heart rate up is good.  Check your pulse after working out.  If it's elevated, then your getting the cardio workout.  Keep up the good work!

Connie K.
Earl C.
on 10/12/06 1:55 pm - Circleville, OH
Hey Dianna, I know Doc Needleman. He got the credit for the Ex's and my surgery on those commercials.  (inside joke...Dr Melvin did our surgery, Dr Needleman takes the credit) You're doing great. Just my opinion, but at this stage any activity is good for you. Don't stress so much about heart rate and "cardio". If walking 100 yards gets you out of breath, then just standing is cardio for you. Just stay active. Keep walking in the pool. I get a heck of a workout in my pool in the summer. (If you're at the OSU medical center say Hi to Kelly and Andrea for me. I was their favorite. ) Earl
Most Active