Help, Help, Help. Am I doing too much & getting dehydrated

babs810
on 10/6/06 11:50 pm - Boston, MA
I am 6 weeks post op & i have been in the ER, every week since returning to work 3 weeks ago for dehydration..Nausea the first week, ok  , ,, then Vomitting the second week. Uncontrollable, (I had to driven home from work ).  I am a Teacher of First Grade & my husband & i walk 45 minutes every night after work......am i pushing myself to much?  can anyone help ? I drink about about 80 ounces of fluid each day .. I have a hard time with Water so i use Crystal light, Tea, Ice tea, Propel, I only drink water when i am walking......Pre-op I drank about 64ounces of water a day plus other things,, HOW can I be Dehydrated ?........
 Smiles Babs              Wieght Loss: UPDATED  12/9/06
7/06-8/06  Pre-Op. 23 Lbs ~~~~~~ 8/23/06-TODAY Post-Op 74 Lbs

Christine D
on 10/7/06 11:55 pm - Mount Penn, PA
I have had dehydration troubles too...although thankfully nothing requiring the ER.  My dr told me that since I complain I am ALWAYS in the bathroom, I am going to dehydrate faster because my body isn't holding on to the fluids.  He said to drastically increase my fluids and this has helped.  I drink about 100 oz a day, plus I can count pudding, yogurt and popsicles as fluids too, but I only count those as additional to my 100 oz.   I also make it a point to drink all day long.  I'm a preschool teacher and I know it isn't really protocol to be drinking in class (esp. for you in a public school) but this is part of ADA and they can't refuse you if it is part of your post op plan.  My drink bottles go with me EVERYWHERE and my kids know that I have to drink or I will get sick, so they don't question it anymore. Also, is your tea decaf?  Caffeine tends to dehydrate us from what I am told.   Good luck, and always remember, when in doubt, call your Dr! Christine
babs810
on 10/8/06 11:49 am - Boston, MA

Thanks Christine.. Yea i DO work in a public School. & I have cleared it with My Boss about having a drink in hand always.......I have produced Dr. Notes Because i need to be eating every 2 hours at school & am also a diabetic. No meds post-op.. YEAH ...  I will try to push the fluids to 100. I do only drink Decaf tea & Decaf coffee..... i have not counted anything for fluids unless its liquid......But i will check with the Dr. I see him thursday because of the to trips to the hospital... I keep being told it could be a FLU. No one seems to know....but at this point now my body is starting to show other problems from dehydration..& it is getting scarey .....Barbara

Smiles Babs              Wieght Loss: UPDATED  12/9/06
7/06-8/06  Pre-Op. 23 Lbs ~~~~~~ 8/23/06-TODAY Post-Op 74 Lbs

Carolyn L.
on 10/11/06 7:42 am - Northborough, MA
Another important factor in staying hydrated is INCREASING salt.  Since we are eating so much less (esp less carbs) our salt intake drops way too low and we need salt in order to hold onto the water that we drink.  My surgeon harps on adding salt to everything.  Hope you feel better!
Carolyn      
243 /222      /135    /135 /125  
High/Surgery/Current/Goal/Lowest

Most Active