exercise b/4 and after surgery

coolrunnings
on 10/4/06 5:12 pm - Fontana, CA
RNY on 01/10/07 with
I would like to know if  you exercise b/4 surgery can you regain the firmness on the inner thigh without having surgery if you work hard b/4 and after as you lose the weight?
Cards Fan
on 10/5/06 12:46 am
Exercise in the forms of cardio and weight/resistance training is highly recommended both pre-op and post-op.   The better shape one is in prior to surgery helps reduce surgical related risks and also aids in recovery.  For those who are WLS pre-ops, exercise at times can be a challenge - so the choice of exercise, the duration and intensity should be according to each individuals ability.  Walking is a GREAT and is the preference of many pre-op. Now, regarding the skin questions.  As the weight drops, loose skin is to be expected - it's not the exception it is the norm.  Will the skin snap back eventually?  Some, over time, but there are many different factors that play into the amount of loose skin and individual will have...age, genetics, the amount of weight loss, etc.  What can help? Getting in protein and vitamins and supplements without fail on a daily basis, staying well-hydrated, muscle tone (adding some muscle mass to fill in the void left from the weight loss).  Many will say a good hydrating lotion with shea butter is helpful and others supplement with biotin which is said to benefit both hair and skin. Given your age and BMI, prepare yourself for some loose skin and the reality that plastic surgery may be in the future should you feel the need and you make that choice.  It's so important to remember what the reasons are behind WLS - the overall benefits in quality of life, health and longevity far surpass any issues that result from significant weight loss.  A little loose skin is an excellent tradeoff for a healthier, longer, more fulfilling life!!! Cards Fan Springfield, MO STEP OFF THE SIDELINES AND GET IN THE GAME!
coolrunnings
on 10/6/06 7:34 am - Fontana, CA
RNY on 01/10/07 with
Thank you stlscardsfan.  I have a bum knee and I am doing water arobics now and started my bike riding stationary.  I am lookong forward to the future.  I am waiting for approval from my insurance co now. thanks again.
Earl C.
on 10/5/06 2:03 am - Circleville, OH
Yeah, what Cards Fan said. He's dead on correct. Just a little addition... There is something called muscle memory. It's easier and faster to build a muscle that's already been built up before. You' will lose muscle right after surgery. You can't workout or eat enough to keep or build muscle immediately after surgery. But it gets easier as you recover and start upping your protein. For me, being as strong and healthy before WLS, allowed me to recover  faster and start training sooner than a normal WLS patient, I believe. I was walking 2 hours a day and lifting 2 hours a every other day just before surgery. ( I know that's not normal for Pre WLS people...just what I was doing.)  So walking a few blocks right after surgery didn't really kill me. Basically, get in the best condition possible before surgery. It will only help you. Good luck. Earl
coolrunnings
on 10/6/06 7:38 am - Fontana, CA
RNY on 01/10/07 with
Thanks Earl.  I am doimnf water arobics and riding my stationary bike now as I cannot walk because of a bum knee.  I need surgery on it. I will do my best and stay at it.  Thanks again . Brenda
Earl C.
on 10/6/06 2:36 pm - Circleville, OH
Hey Brenda, Sorry about the knee. I look like a mummy myself when I'm working out. All we can ever do is our best and be damn  proud of it. Earl
Most Active