Working hard!!!!

***AlyCat ***
on 10/3/06 5:55 am - Panama City, FL

I do 45min on the treadmill at 3.2 and incline 3.5 also I do 25min of weights 5 days a week… I am not trying to build muscle; all I want is to burn fat and cal. I eat between 650-750 cal per day. My weight loss has been really slow and I am not sure why… My question is should I increase my workout or my cal? Is there something different I should be doing?  

Always be yourself 
Because the people who mind don’t matter 
And the people who matter don’t mind! 

Becky_M
on 10/3/06 6:40 am - Northwest, GA

Hi Alicia, first of all congrats on such a great job! I’m in no way, shape, or form an expert on any of this so take it for what it’s worth! I’m not sure if you can be getting in many more healthy calories at your stage, but try to get in a carb/protein combo before your workouts. One of my standards is 4 Triscuits with a few ounces of deli chicken or turkey on top. Your cardio on the treadmill sounds great, but can you tell more about what your weight training consists of? If you are doing strenuous weight lifting/work on your entire body 5 times a week, that’s too much. You’ve got to give your muscles time to heal between workouts. If you are using weights and working different parts of your body on different days, it sounds great. I’m sure you are doing fine, your body is just taking time to re-adjust itself. Try using a measuring tape instead of the scale for a while and I’m sure you’ll be encouraged.

Becky

***AlyCat ***
on 10/4/06 12:10 am - Panama City, FL

Hello Becky, Let me say Congrats on a job well done!! I can’t wait to be where you are and I am trying hard to get there!! Let me ask you this dose eating the carb/protein combo before you go workout really help you? How long be you wait after eating before going gym? As for my weight training I have for the most part been doing the same thing everyday! I work on my arms and my tummy I don’t really worry about my legs because I do 45mins on the treadmill so I think they get a good workout! The reason I have been doing the same thing is I was told if I did not want to build any muscle I do the same thing everyday so my muscles don’t have time to build! As for eating more yes your right I do not believe I could get in anymore healthy calories than I am.

Always be yourself 

Becky_M
on 10/4/06 12:52 am - Northwest, GA

Alicia, I find that if I eat between 1 and 2 hours before my workout I’m able to hang in there longer, especially if I’m doing something like RPM or a step class. It took me a while to get it thru my head to do this and I still sometimes forget. As far as being worried about building huge muscles, don’t be. Girls just don’t bulk up unless they are juicing and working out 23 hours a day. Muscles are your best fat burners, you want to have muscles, so let them do their job. I bet you are so excited seeing the huge changes going in with your body right now! Are you working out at home or at a gym?

Becky

Stephanie517
on 10/3/06 10:11 pm - Bradenton, FL
HI ALICIA - WOW I COULDNT HAVE WROTE THAT QUESTION ANY BETTER - I ACTUALLY DO THE SAME EXACT ROUTINE AS YOU 5 DAYS A WEEK AND GETTING FRUSTRATED B/C THE SCALE HASNT MOVED IN 3 WKS.  I HAD LAP RNY ON 5/17 AND HAVE LOST 67 LBS WHICH IS GOOD BUT I FEEL I AM BUSTING MY BUTT WITH WORKING OUT AND GETTING MY PROTEIN IN BUT THE SCALE JUST ISNT MOVING.  I JUST STARTED A FOOD DIARY ON MONDAY THINKING MAYBE THAT MY CALORIES ARE TOO LOW ON A DAILY BASIS - AGAIN I DO ABOUT THE SAME AS YOU 700 CAL PER DAY.  IF I DONT SEE ANY RESULTS BY THE END OF THE MONTH I AM GOING TO MAKE AN APPT WITH A NUTRITIONIST TO SEE WHERE I AM GOING WRONG.  KEEP YOU HEAD UP - IT HAS TO GET BETTER!!
***AlyCat ***
on 10/4/06 12:24 am - Panama City, FL

Hello Becky, Let me say Congrats on your weight loss 67 lbs is great!! I completely understand what you mean about being frustrated when you’re working so hard and the scale just doesn’t move. I think it’s a good idea for you to go see your nut I wish I could do that, but being as I had my surgery done in Cali and I just moved to Fl 1 months ago I really can’t go see mine. So if you end up going PLEASE let me know what he/she has to say! We are only 1 month apart (I had surgery 6/13) and we are doing all the same things so maybe we can help each other out!! I did have one person tell me to not get on the scale for a few weeks and try using a measuring tape instead I think its a good idea so I am going to give that a try! Best of luck to you..

Always be yourself 

Cards Fan
on 10/4/06 2:21 am
Based on the amount of calories you're likely burning on a daily basis (because of the workout regimen you describe) and the amount of calories you're taking in,  you could be at a point where "hoarding" is taking place.   This occurs when your body goes into a protection mode so to speak and holds on or hoards the fat stores...yes, it could be considered a plateau depending on the amount of time the weight loss remains at a halt. Your body needs an adequate amount of fuel to burn fat.  While it's not a guarantee to fire up your weight loss, it might be beneficial to you to increase your calories towards 1000 calories daily adding in some healthy carbohydrates for an energy boost.  Consider giving this a try.  What you describe is a common pitfall - while reduced calories will result in weight loss for awhile, the body eventually adjusts.  As body weight goes down, and strength and stamina increase - you need to increase calories/carbs/healthy fats in order to maintain a steady loss avoiding those pesky plateaus. In one of the replies to your post someone mentioned doing the same weight routine on a daily basis so the muscles do not have time to build - they simply want to burn fat.  This in my opinion and others will agree that this is counterproductive.  Lean muscle aids in the fat burning process.  If adding bulk is a concern lighter weights, higher repetitions and increased sets are the answer.  Alternate days - perhaps lower body, lower back and abs on one day -- arms, shoulders, chest and upper back on the opposite days.  In doing so, you will build the desired lean muscle (you'll tone and add strength but not bulk up) and fire-up your metabolism and maximize your fat burning potential.  Give it a shot - I think you'll be pleased with the results!!! Cards Fan Springfield, MO STEP OFF THE SIDELINES AND GET IN THE GAME!
***AlyCat ***
on 10/4/06 3:45 am - Panama City, FL

Wow thank you so much for the good info! Yes I am burning somewhere between 350-400cal on the treadmill alone and if I am only eating 700cal per day that is not a lot... I guess I am just a little unsure of where to get in the other 300 cal as I am 4months post op and still can’t eat a lot. I do eat 3meals a day and drink a protein shake! I will try and get my cal up and see what happens.

I am willing to try just about anything because I do not want to be counterproductive in anyway! The reason I was doing the same thing everyday is because I don’t want to bulk up, but I would like to have lean muscle!

Always be yourself 

Cards Fan
on 10/4/06 4:18 am
Don't be afraid to add another 1-2 protein shakes...so you could have 3 per day...one in the morning, one within an hour post-workout and another in the evening.  That will add perhaps another 250 of those needed calories and they are not difficult to add-in.  Not only will you be getting the additional calories but the added protein (40-60 grams) has so many benefits including building of lean muscle, quicker recovery in between workouts and can sometimes minimize or eliminate hair loss associated with major surgery and rapid weight loss.  There's so many schools of thought out there re: protein shakes and the proper amount of protein - mine is simply an opinion based off what has worked for me and many others...it's not expert advice or medically based in anyway. Good Luck! Cards Fan Springfield, MO STEP OFF THE SIDELINES AND GET IN THE GAME!
Kari M.
on 10/4/06 7:55 am - Pasadena, CA
for what it's worth i say at this stage so early in the WLS game, put the scale away and don't look at the numbers. i only weighed every other month for the first 6 months (yup, i said month - not day not week) because i'd read too many panicked posts about "why am i not loosing?!" it helped me focus on the necessary life changes, eating better, exercising, etc. and let go of the obsessive tracking of weight loss. it's hard to believe that the body will loose the weight but i'm a year out and 100 lbs. down so i know it works. the fact that you are excercising regularly this early on will make a major difference in the amount you loose overall so i have no doubt you will be thrilled at your one-year mark if you keep this up. also, don't forget that we continue to loose inches even when the scale doesn't move. i lost two pounds but a whole pant size just a few weeks ago. there's no way that two pounds put me in another size, i know it's the loss of inches through toning with weights that did it.
Most Active