Want to whine!

Donnamarie
on 9/17/06 11:57 pm - NY
I really want to go back to the gym.  I am only 5 days out from plastic surgery (brachioplasty) but I really really miss the gym.  Don't tell the non-exercisers, they don't like hearing from people like us. Anyone have any experience with this?  I know I have to listen to the PS but going from 4-5 days a week to nothing is painful!!! Michelle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When are you going back? Donna
francescurrit
on 9/18/06 6:02 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I had brachioplasty in late April, and went through the same thing.  By my fourth day of recovery, I was pacing back and forth in my bedroom just to not go crazy!!! What might help is to walk or bike.  Make sure your doctor okays it (something about just getting the heart rate up during the first two weeks can be BAD for recovery and scarring), and then I'd go back to the gym and walk (NO JOGGING) or use the reclining bicycle.  I'm a pedometer freak - I was back up to 12,000 steps a day within a week of my surgery. I totally feel your pain.  It's like, I worked so hard to get this athletic lifestyle, and then I have to quit cold turkey?  How crazy is that????   (On the flip side, I LOVE being able to wear ladies t-shirts and tank tops, AND not flap when I play sports!!!  It's soooo worth it!) Frances
Donnamarie
on 9/18/06 6:57 am - NY
Hi Frances, I'm so happy to see you are pleased.  I so cannot wait to wear a tank top somewhere other than my own house!!   Today is my 5th day and I wanted to go back to work SO bad.  But there is a slight blistering beneath one of the steri strips and I have 1 more dose of Keflex to take before I feel out of the woods.  No sense in making the scar worse than it is already going to be!!! I know about the cold turkey thing.  It's like, wow.  Someone said it takes 3 months to undo 6 months worth of work.  So as soon as I have the go ahead I am heading to the gym.  I KNOW I won't be able to do arm things but heck I am going to sweat!!!!  My PS knows how badly I am addicted to exercise.  I will definitely walk if nothing more.  But as you know, when you kick it up a notch, walking just so does not do it!!! Thanks for sharing my pain! Donna
Most Active