? about running

Christine D
on 9/16/06 9:50 am - Mount Penn, PA
I've been puttering around with running during my outside walks...running in short segments for as long as I can then going back to my fast walk.  This week I tried doing the same on the treadmill and it about killed me.  What's the secret to making it work on the treadmill?  I currently walk anywhere from 3.5-4.2mph and at an incline of 3%-8% (I switch it up every 5-10 minutes) but just can't seem to get it right for running.  Any suggestions would be appreciated as I really want to try to build up my running time so that I can add it to my routine. Thanks in advance! Christine
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/06 12:56 am - Las Vegas, NV
I am not an expert, but I do read, I do have some sense, and I have some experience, so how about I share what I can? Walking/Running outside is markedly different than on a treadmill in a couple ways, but 2 important ones: 1) Outside YOU vary your walking/running speed.  So, after you run and start walking, you may actually slow a bit more than you think for a short time, allowing recovery.  On the treadmill, you are slowing to a definate fast walk pace, thus you may be preventing recovery. 2) Outside walking/running is different in that you are moving your weight, where on the treadmill your are keeping up with the belt.  It is a slightly different motion that can make a huge difference. My uninformed, unecated recommendation, ie. What I would do: When I was going to walk/run on the treadmill, I would focus on that.  First, I would reduce the incline to 1%, which commonly is accepted to compare to running on flat ground. I would notch the running AND walking pace down a little (maybe ..2).  This would make the overall run/walk less demanding, but would allow recovery in the walking phase.  Increase time running slowly over weeks. If you are serious about running, try the C25K (Couch to 5k) program at www.coolrunning.com, or any of the many similar programs out there on the Web.  I followed the "30 minutes in 30 days" program in "The Idiots Guide to Running". Good Luck
Christine D
on 9/17/06 12:16 pm - Mount Penn, PA

Thanks Tek...I appreciate your insight.  I will check out that site and the book too!

Kari M.
on 9/18/06 7:26 am - Pasadena, CA
wow, that's so funny because i'm all about treadmill running but find that when i run the track or outside i keep speeding myself up without thinking and fatigue faster. so i stick to the treadmill. plus i can zone out and think without worrying about obsticles/cars/the weather. i run at 1-2% incline at a speed of 4.5 for 20-30 min. four times per week. but i started running at a slower speed until i got used to the activity, i think like a 3.5. -kari
Most Active