Hysterectomy & Fibromyalgia

Kristy
on 9/18/09 9:23 am - ID
How many women have Fibro that have had a full or partial hysterectomy?  I have noticed that quite a few women have fibro after the surgery.  I am one myself.  I read the profiles and I am just wondering if the surgery brings the fibro out full blown.  Do you think there is a connection.  Is it just with the hysterectomy or perhaps just any surgery?  I know trauma's and surgery bring it on, but I might be seeing a connection here.  What are your thoughts?  Thank you, Kristy
Hislady
on 9/18/09 2:31 pm - Vancouver, WA
Well I've never had a hysterectomy but I sure do have fibro! My personal opinion is that any trauma to the body be it physical like a surgery or mental such as severe stress can cause the fibro to manifest or flare. Interested in seeing other opinions.
MKPstamps
on 9/21/09 7:08 am - HOT SoCal, CA
I had a hysterectomy about 20 years ago, RNY was performed 7/17/08. My fibro was diagnosed within the past 5 years.My RNY was like a gift where the fibro-monster is concerned. I thought I had been misdiagnosed or that it went away. Today, I'm on a fentanyl patch and take Norco for breakthrough pain plus Gabapentin. So much for that fun idea. It was good while it lasted!

I had a friend who also has had all of the above tell me that her theory was that my body needed me to heal after my surgery and so all energies went there. Now of course, I was also off of work for over 2 months and I got plenty of good sleep and rest and had a much lowered stress level.
Karil G.
on 9/22/09 1:33 am - IL

Kristy,

YES, YES YES!!!   I totally believe that my fibro was "released" after my total hysterectomy.  My hist surgery was 11/19/08,  and i never got better!  it went from pain in my pelivs, which was one of the reasons i had to have the hysterectomy (diagnosed with chronic pelvic congestion, along with other things), to pain all over in a matter of months!  and it just keeps getting worse.  I feel bad for my poor family that has been "suffering" with my illnesses for well over 2 years.  Everything i do, is suppose to be "the thing" that will get me better, and it never does, and with the hysterectomy, it has gotten really really bad.  If i could go back, i would not hvve had the surgery.  One of the symptoms of fibro is unexplained pelvic pain.

so, yes, the answer for me is a very loud YES!!!

twohearts
on 9/23/09 6:48 am - Waukesha, WI
Had a hysterectomy too, but I had severe pain before that too.  I didn't notice it getting worse from that surgery.  It has gotten worse over time though, but I can't attribute it to any one thing.
Lilli_Colleen
on 9/25/09 12:23 am
Trauma is my bet. I still have all my pipes but I've been under heavy strain/trauma's since my WLS. Fibro seems to have reared it's ugly head shortly after my brother was murdered in a home invasion (dad had already passed on, mom 6 weeks after I was born) 2 years ago. Since then, it seems I hurt all over.  I have to agree with one of the other posters, even my hair hurts. 

I personally try to keep myself away from people who tend to add stress to my life, my kids are one of them at this time. I am in the process of liberating myself from them and most of my responsibilites by retiring early and moving to a warmer climate (SF Bay area isn't warm enough for me). 

Lilli
Kathleen T.
on 10/1/09 2:01 pm
I had my hysterectomy before I can down with the fibro? I think it may have not be diagnosed.  When I have a flare-up everything hurts hair, skin, and don't want yo be touched at all .  POOR HB this have been at least15 years being diagnosed but had been ill for years before they gave it a name.
"A Man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. 
Proverb 16:9
May not be where I want to be but I glad to be where I'm at.
Working at getting the rest of the way.

12/10/2012 I'll be having LBL, BL/BA, thigh & arm lift, eyelid
Body by Dr. Sauceda    booked to 12/9--12/22
Most Active
Recent Topics