Gabapenten questions

MKPstamps
on 2/14/09 11:57 pm - HOT SoCal, CA
I had RNY in July 2008 and haven't had fibro problems until just recently. For the past month the moster has been coming out of hiding. Last weekend was the worst with everything hurting and I wound up sitting under a blanket most of the day. The doctor just started me on Gabapenten on Thursday. I started taking on 300 mg pill at night and the difference is good.

For those of you who take this, does the sleepiness go away? They told me to take one for a week for my body to get used to it and then if needed, I could add one in the morning for a week and one a noon for a week, (working up to 3/day). The results with one are good, but I think two might do the trick. For those of you who take this, does the sleepiness go away? I work full time and have no problem taking one at night, but don't know about taking one in the morning.

What are you're experiences?

MKP
BIRDYLADY
on 2/15/09 3:11 am - GA
I took four a day for almost a year. The sleepiness never really went away and neither did the pain.
Kimberly"be nice to me or I will sic my ninja monkeys on you"

Hislady
on 2/15/09 7:47 am - Vancouver, WA
I just started taking gaba a few months ago and it does make me a little sleepy still but only right after I take it for maybe a couple of hours then it's fine. Even then it's not so bad that I actually fell asleep or anything. I'm taking 300 mg 4x a day and that's the best thing about gaba is there is a really wide dosage range meaning you can take some really large doses as long as it helps you. It's working really well for me and I'm also taking morphine for back pain but I can tell the difference when I need the gaba because the morphine doesn't do as much for the muscle pain as the gaba does. I know for some folks it doesn't work but for me so far it's working well. Be sure to tell your doc anytime the meds aren't taking care of the pain because they always start with a low dose to see how you handles it. Like my doc told me one time "You have to tell me if they aren't working otherwise I'll assume they are and won't change anything." Imagine that, they aren't mind readers!Good luck!
MainePam
on 2/16/09 12:48 am - Bucksport, ME
I am not familiar with this. What type is this Gaba???Anti, or for pain or ?? I have been getting my med;s adajusted fun fun so was curious.
MKPstamps
on 2/16/09 1:00 am - HOT SoCal, CA
My PCP retired and since I've just been getting worse over the last month, I decided to look on this board and a few other fibro sites for pain medications. I wanted to take a list of what people are using or some of the latest treatments. I saw Gabapenten listed quite often and that people were having luck with it for pain. I'm not certain if it's the same thing as Nuerontin or similar, but they're related some how. I don't think it's listed as a fibro medication, but it is used to treat nerve pain. I read somewhere that it is prescribed for people who have shingles.

So far I'm happy with it as I do notice an improvement. I felt like I had the flu with my back and sides aching so. I have been taking a pill at night and just took a one about an hour ago to try it during the day time; it seems to be fine. I'm a little tired, but nothing that would prevent me from working. I would wait to take it when I got to work though, not before I got in the car, but it is helping.
Cathy R.
on 7/18/09 1:56 pm - yelm, WA
This is for pain, neuropathic pain.  I have MS and also take Gabapentin (aka Neurontin).  I have been taking this for years, currently taking 1200 mg 3x's day.  The sleepiness does subside, however be sure to let your doctor know how it is going for you.
Cathy R    
Most Active
Recent Topics