Stalled after 4 monthes after Gastric -By- Pass. I am scaried to death.

Doris Cervenka
on 9/4/11 3:05 pm - Ganado, TX
      I have seemed to have stalled and quit losing weight 4 monthes after Gastric-By- Pass.  Since my B.M.I. has always been high.  Since I was a child. I am 41 years old.  I lost 50 pounds before surgery.  My doctor wanted me to lose 80 pounds but, It did not happen no matter how much I exercised.  I started out at 395 pounds. Before surgery. I lost 50 pounds. But, That took almost two years just  to lose 50 pounds.  I was 345 when I had my surgery.  I lose right after surgery. I lost 72 pounds in 3 months down to 273 pounds. Because, Who can eat the first three months after surgery.  I just stay sick all the time. Throwing up everything. I could  actually swallowed down my throat.  I felt like I was starving all the time.  I learned to chew and spit it out. Just something would go down. So I would not get sick.  How that I am starting to get a get a little bit of food down.  Between shakes. I barely get my protein down.  I seem to have stopped losing weight.  Actually gained 10 pounds. Because, Last week  I was at 263 and was hoping to get 250.  Instead  I am back up to 273 pounds stalled and  scared to death.  
   I have not  been under 250 pounds since High school.  Every says    The weight will  just come off. But, I have lived with disappoint with my weight all my life.  When it comes to my weight.  I have lose 90 pounds before when was in my Thirdy.  I walked three hours a day and watch everything . I put into my mouth. As low as I could get was 249 and I Stalled for three months and finally gave up.   Got tried killing myelf exercising for nothing.  I am scaried the same thing is happening.  I been very careful about every thing. I have been eating. I been trying really hard to get my protein down.  So I don,t lose any more hair.  But, Still I gained weight this week.  I know it just could be water weight. Because , My feet do swell at times.  I guess I just feel hopeless when it comes to my weight.   I have never really had control over it.  I thought the surgery would give me some control over my weight lose.  But, I still fill as hopeless as ever.  When it comes to my weight.  The tool the doctors gave  me.  Is still something, I have know control over.  Who knows if going to lose weight or not.  I am just tired, sick and depressed.  I never thought.  I would be so sick all the time. I never thought,  I would grow to hate drinking protein shakes.  Water just tastes bitter all the time. My tastebuds are crazy.  Limeade seem to be the only thing.  I can drink and not get sick of it. 
I guess, I have to live with my regretes and my surgery.  I am a grown up and thought.  I new what I was getting into.  I read the good and the bad.  The truth is losing the weight was such a blessing and I love it.  If I had not had the surgery.  I would have probabily died.   But, Being sick all the time and not being able to eat is a living Hell.
walterswife
on 9/4/11 8:18 pm
There are several things you might need to consider but I certainly do not feel you should be discouraged at this point.

You have lost ALOT of weight.  Be proud of your accomplishment

You need to understand that p0eople who lose large amounts of weight prior to surgery do not lose as much as fast after surgery.

I think you should have a conversation with your surgeon and dietitian about your inability to tolerate foods.  You may have stopped losing because your calorie intake is insufficient.

What kind of exercise are you doing now?

How many ounces are you drinking daily and how are you doing with your supplements?

Please also consider that stalls are not uncommon throughout the process but you should be patient.  The fact that some say the weight will just come off is a fallacy for many.  The surgery is a tool but we must do our part to make the weight loss happen.

Not everyone loses 100 percent of their excess weight.  You are considered a weight loss success if you lose half of your excess weight.

I also encourage you to post on the main forum and RNY forum where you can get more suggestions than you might be able to get on this forum.  Just stay connected.   Plenty of support is available here.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Tri_harder
on 9/5/11 6:58 pm, edited 1/13/12 8:23 pm

Hi Doris:
I hope you're feeling better today. I agree with the previous poster that you have lost a lot of weight quickly. From almost 400 lbs. to 263 is almost 140 lbs. That is incredible. Also your surgery is not failing you. I have found is that people that are bigger are given more restrictive surgeries than people that are smaller on the day of surgery. Most of the successful patients tend to be sick in the beginning and do the best in the long run. Some people do have their stomas enlarged with an endoscopy so that they can eat more later on. Some people leave their stomas small and maintain for years. The people that do the best have stomas the size of an M&M. The successful people eat practically nothing. I am always surprised on how little they actually need to eat to be healthy. They were unable to swallow their saliva (seriously). Please appreciate the tool you were given and enjoy your skinny life. I assume you are having enough follow up care and really don't need to watch the scale on a daily basis. I would call the surgeon's office about the 10 lbs. if it hasn't come off yet to find out why that happened overnight. Maybe you could weigh in on their scale for accuracy. I assume they are drawing lab work on you. Sometimes vitamin deficiencies cause people to feel down...I think it is B vitamins. I assume you are seeing a dietitian too. Please read some of the stories of successful people. They really are like you in the beginning. In the long run you will do great. Your surgery is working. Sincerely, Tri

WendyInIowa
on 9/6/11 7:25 pm - IA
I would sincerely encourage you to talk to your doctor if you are not able to hold anything down at all without feeling sick.  I would also say you should talk to your doctor if you are noticing swelling in your feet or ankles as this could be a different problem all together.  I would suggest that you try a different source of protein if the ones you are eating is making you  feel sick and if it doesn't taste good.  I understand your frustration.  You can read my story at www.healthy-wealthy-n-wise.com/blog  If I can ever be of any help to you please contact me.  I would agree with the person that said perhaps you are not getting enough calories in and this will actually cause you to not lose weight as well.  If I can help drop me a line.  Good Luck, keep your head up and don't get frustrated just yet! 

Wendy Netolicky RN
ToNewBeginnings
on 9/6/11 11:07 pm
Firstly, keep in mind that you have lost a lot of weight.
It sounds like you are not eating enough. You should be eating mostly real food by now.
You may want to record everything you are eating and the amount you are drinking. When you look at what you are taking in you may be surprised.
Please make an appointment with your Doctorr. AND be honest about everything. You have a few things you should be talking about.
dawnab
on 11/17/11 3:49 am - Stockport, IA
I am almost four years out from my RNY.  The weight has never "fallen off".  I have had to work for each and every ounce lost! I was a size 22 down to a 4/6. 

I too suffer from problems with being able to eat and keeping the food where it belongs. 

One of the things I have discovered is very few doctors know anything about nutrition, even the surgeons who specialize in by-pass surgery's. 

Learning to avoid things that upset my system has been complete trial and error.  I have become vegetarian moving toward vegan.  I have to avoid oils/fats, eggs, meat (of any kind), anything processed, "diet" food/sweeteners and certain veggies.  There are things I can eat today that I could not eat before and things I can't eat today that I just ate yesterday.  The only protein shake I can use is made by Unjury.  It is the purest I have ever found and the easiest to digest. 

There are other things such as vitamins and medications that could be causing you problems.  It has taken me four years to find the right ones for me. 

Don't dispare!  Listen to your body.  Someone elses diet is just that, someone elses.  Try different foods no matter how weird they sound or look.  It may be what your body is looking for. 

Do the best you can.  It's your best not someone elses. 
Dawna
Most Active