Colonoscopy Question

Noodle65
on 5/31/19 9:04 am
DS on 10/18/12

I am due for my 10 year colonoscopy. I had my ds 6.5 years ago. Do I need to alert the procogist about the DS? So few doctors understand the surgery, I am curious what others have experienced.

Thank you in advance.

Blessings

Julie

hollykim
on 5/31/19 11:15 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 31, 2019 at 4:04 PM Pacific Time, Noodle65 wrote:

I am due for my 10 year colonoscopy. I had my ds 6.5 years ago. Do I need to alert the procogist about the DS? So few doctors understand the surgery, I am curious what others have experienced.

Thank you in advance.

Blessings

Julie

yes you should let them know about your altered anatomy.

califsleevin
on 6/1/19 9:54 am - CA

Certainly discuss this with the doctor, as there are a number of different bowel preps available, some of which are a lot friendlier to those of us with a small stomach.

If does not seem to be an uncommon problem for the normal prep procedures to yield an inadequate cleanse with the DS. The first time my wife had it done after her DS, the doc didn't believe that she had followed the directions. Talking about this at our support group, which is primarily 10-20 year DS vets, others had had the same experience, and what they had worked out was to do two or three days of the clear liquid diet prior to the day before bowel prep. This last time, we discussed this with the (new) gastro doc and he provided a low volume prep product. We also worked out for her to do a soft/liquid (not specifically clear) diet two days before with a bottle of mag citrate that evening, followed by the clear diet and bowel prep the day before and that seemed to work well for her.

So yes, there does seem to be some differences with the DS, and of course, most docs are unfamiliar with it, so it is best to prepare them for it so at least they are in the loop if they don't like what they see (I warned you....!)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Janet P.
on 6/3/19 10:29 am

I've had several colonoscopies since my DS 16 years ago. The gastroenterologist is aware I had the DS and I think the first time I went I brought him a copy of my operative report and just simply explained to him my new anatomy. Other than that, I've had no issues related to the DS.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Eliza970
on 6/3/19 7:37 pm

DS doesn't affect the colon, but if you have any doubts the doc understands your history, go somewhere else. I had no problems with the prep being effective. It was outrageously effective. I stayed in a hotel the night before the procedure so I didn't have to travel to the facility in the morning. It was so lucky I did that. The best advice I got was to get baby wipes and zinc oxide cream for the area since the rapid transit of colon contents burns the anus after DS, and to have Pedialyte and hard butterscotch candies for blood sugar dips. Use a lemon to suck on after you drink the vile liquid stuff prescribed, since it takes away some of the taste. I had done the advised 48-hour liquid-only diet prior to the prep and there wasn't much solid to move out. But the doc said he had a clear view of the colon, so it worked.

My colonoscopy was arranged by my bariatric surgeon's office so the procedure was done by someone who understands DS. Perhaps see if your surgeon has a suggestion? Even though my sister has colon cancer, the doctor said I didn't have to have another colonoscopy until 10 years from now because massive weight loss protects from colon cancer. Good luck with it!

PeteA
on 6/20/19 11:35 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I've had one so far and didn't have a problem. I did do liquids for 2 days before I did the prep and wish I had been offered a low volume prep (gallon of golightly) but the Doc had no problem. The Anatomy changes for the DS have no relation to the colonoscopy procedure but just for some people need to pay more attnetion to prep.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Recent Topics