Diarrhea and IBS

NoDramaMama
on 5/3/19 5:33 pm

I'm 20 years post op and having the same symptoms.

highlandbear
on 5/26/19 7:16 pm - Canada

OH my gosh. I will be honest i did not have ds but i just thought i would read and so glad i did. Even though i did not have the same surgery i suffer so bad with stomach issues. I am 9 years out. i never know when the diarrhea will hit. I get nausea all the time. i can not even do protein drinks without feeling sick. I exercise and don't eat the junk food and i have gained so much weight. my stomach is so bloated. i have been so down on my self. People say you exercise all the time how did you gain so much weight. You need to watch what you eat. i do. it is very unusual for me to get a meal into me without feeling sick.

Sorry for writing here but no one seems to understand what i am going through

manders7
on 5/27/19 10:32 am

I'm 13 years post op, and for the past 6 years I've suffered with IBS. I have it under control now but have gone through many tests. I had a colonoscopy to rule out Crohns and colitis, was also tested for lactose intolerance and all were negative. Early on, I would get a lot if diarrhea from pre-mixed protein shakes because they have artificial sweetener in them and it gave me a lot of gas and bloating. Sugar alcohols are like poison to me and I stay away from them. Eating too fast would always bloat me up and end in diarrhea. I'd suggest getting a colonoscopy to rule out any inflammatory bowel disease and then take a good look at your diet. Eliminate artificial sweeteners like sucralose or sugar alcohols. Maybe get tested for SIBO as it can occur after weight loss surgery of any kind. Good luck and above all, be kind to yourself and be strong as you get through this struggle.

Amanda  
Gastric bypass RNY
5/8/2006 - Dr. James Koren
290 initial/165 goal

Bobbi V.
on 5/27/19 11:04 am

I am 10 yrs post RNY, and have used psyllium husk 3 times a day to bulk up my stool. I'm not losing weight, but thought I'd offer what I had to do to stop loose stool and diarrhea

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/19 6:40 pm - Carrollton, TX
RNY on 11/26/07 with

Are you seeing a Bariatric surgeon? I was having the same problem but not losing weight however I was having diarreaha, sick at my stomach and could only eat a few things, my iron was low. Basically I felt very ill for months! I saw a Bariatric surgeon who diagnosed me with Candy Cane syndrome. He operated and fixed the candy cane and fixed my stomach which he said was basically a mess. I cannot tell you how much better I feel. No more tummy issues!! And no more bowel problems!! See a Bariatric surgeon!

jmk187
on 5/28/19 5:47 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Hi I don't have the DS, I have the sleeve. But I have diarrhea more than I have solid..I am almost 4 months post op and I have no hope it will get better. It's just my new normal. Also I have found that when I am extremely low with my carbs..like under 20 a day. My BM's are horrific in smell...I have come to the conclusion that the reason for the diarrhea is most likely because of the extremely low carb intake as well. About the only time I don't seem to have completely liquid BM's are when ease up on my limiting of carbs. I realize though that people with DS usually get diarrhea when they eat too many carbs or sugar though. Good luck!

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Recent Topics