Weight Loss, How after 5 to 10+ Years

Janet P.
on 3/28/19 10:11 am

Sunshine - I eat a minimum of 120 grams of protein a day. That didn't change when I was in the weight loss mode.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

jodybob
on 3/31/19 4:12 am - NJ

How are you getting to 120 grams of protein. I'm 10 years out gain 20lbs I'm trying to loose it but can't seem to get above 40 g of protein and that's with drinking protein. I need a different protein I think.

Thanks

Janet P.
on 4/1/19 5:48 am

Jodybob for me protein is easy - I eat a minimum of 30 grams of protein for each of my three meals and then with snacks I probably get another 25-30 grams (80%+ of my snacks are high in protein).

PS I don't use any protein supplements.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Sunshine16
on 4/1/19 6:33 am

Ok, so most of your protein comes from food.

Well I still drink protein drinks, I,am going to try for 120 a day, do you think this causes you to kee your weight down? Does it reduce your appetite taking in 120 grams a protein? Have you noticed any change if you dont consume 120 grams of protein?

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Janet P.
on 4/1/19 7:24 am

I get all my protein from food. I haven't touched a protein supplement (drink) in years. If I have a day where my protein isn't as high as I like, I sometimes feel a little sluggish the next day, so I generally up my protein that day.

Hard to say about appetite - I'm always hungry :) I tend to graze all day - I just try to focus on protein.

So hard to say since I've been eating like this since I reached my goal weight almost 14 years ago.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Sunshine16
on 4/1/19 11:29 am

Thank Janet for answering, last year when you lost you 10 to 15 pounds, did you incorporate exercise, or it was strictly what you are. Plus do you remember how long it took you to lose the weight?

Again thank you.

I'm working on this now and I think the protein does help in giving me energy.

Janet P.
on 4/1/19 11:48 am

Definitely didn't include exercise :) I worked out when I first started my journey, but fell off the treadmill (so to speak) in the last couple of years. Definitely need to get back on.

It probably took 1-2 months - I honestly don't remember. I just remember I didn't like weighing 165 so I focused on lowering my carbs and upping my water a bit, and when I got to the weight I wanted (around 155) I simply gradually added more carbs to stop losing. For me it's all about the carbs - more carbs, gain weight; less carbs, lose weight.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 3/30/19 12:18 pm

I don't need as much protein as I did decades ago. Over time I started absorbing more. I only need about 80 per day. Makes me sad because I can't eat as much. But more protein is still better than eating more carbs!

Sunshine16
on 4/1/19 6:30 am

Why does it make you sad you cannot eat as much...oh because you are absorbing more, therefore easier to gain.

Does the protein reduce your appetite? Why even 80 since you been out for awhile?

JazzyOne9254
on 4/8/19 7:38 am

I'm 10 years out from the DS, and the beauty of it at this age is that I can keep it stable, and not have to worry about weight gain, I have to worry about it *dropping*, so my caloric and protein intake is quite a bit higher than other surgeries.

My common channel is 75cm, the shortest my doctor will do them, and I hope to high heaven some health issue doesn't come along to make surgical revision necessary! Just from the way my obese body responded to calories, I'm pretty sure my DS body will try to "protect" itself by gaining. A little I can stand. Out-of-control is what I'm afraid of. I had this surgery to avoid restrictive dieting.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Recent Topics