RNY to DS in Arizona

califsleevin
on 2/28/19 8:38 am - CA

Is your in/out of network coverage just a different copay split (30/70 vs 20/80) as is typical for a PPO, or no coverage vs. coverage? If it is just a different copay split, then there may not be a big of a difference as one may think, depending upon timing and cir****tances. Does your family normally use a lot of med care, and exceed, or comes close to, the max out of pocket levels of the policy?

When I had my WLS with Dr. Rabkin, he wasn't in network (he usually isn't, or wasn't at the time) but by the time Aetna paid off, we had met our max out of pocket expense for the year, so they paid his fee 100% even though he was out of network. Just a consideration. Also, some docs who are in network will charge a "program fee" to cover expenses not paid by the insurance - this is usually a nominal few hundred dollars, but can sometimes be thousands - so that is also something to work into your calculus.

Good luck in getting through this.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

maggs10
on 3/11/19 7:29 am
RNY on 11/30/16

Hi, I am not in the U.S. I am in Canada but I just saw a surgeon about going for an RNY to DS. He told me it is a very risky procedure. They first had to reverse the RNY and then do a sleeve and then they do the DS. That is a lot of surgery. I spoke to a few people that did have it done and they had nothing but complications. example, stomach hernia, one person they had to put a hold in her esophagus because food would not go down. Another person did not lose anything. Another one has constant pain. Please be careful. It really scared me.

I know everyone is different but I looked into this and it looks too scary for me. I just wanted to share this with you.

Laura in Texas
on 3/20/19 11:15 am

I would at least talk to one of the experts in CA to see what the surgery would cost (I assume your insurance would pay something to a doctor out of network).

A friend of mine revised from RNY to DS and had so many complications following the surgery. She was in and out of the hospital constantly until her death. Her doctor was a quack and did not know what he was doing. Please do not become another victim.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CristyA
on 6/3/19 2:52 pm

Who was her Doctor?

Recent Topics