Surgery Scheduled!

LapGyrl
on 5/18/18 8:13 am

Hey everyone.

I will be getting the DS next month 6/14/18. So excited and nervous!!!! I'm wondering how much time I really need off to recover. For my sleeve, I took about 5 days off including the surgery day. I was a home CNA then. I am a L&D nurse now. Not a lot of heavy lifting but I'm on my feet a lot and work long shifts. Doc said two weeks. Thoughts?

YouTube channel Sleeve2DS 83

Valerie G.
on 5/18/18 4:04 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You are way more resilient than I ever was. My brain was in a fog for a good month and taking frequent naps after the slightest movement.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Janet P.
on 5/21/18 3:11 am

Congrats on your date. When I had my DS I took 4 weeks off from a desk job. By week 3 I was out and about but once I went back to work it was much harder - went back part time for 2 weeks.

With that said, with your job (lifting, on your feet, long shifts) you definitely need your insides to heal. The other thing that will be a major adjustment is how/what you eat. This isn't the sleeve and the DS definitely requires a little more "practice". Learning how your new system handles food, etc. is an unknown. Are you going getting resleeved as well as switched?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

LapGyrl
on 5/21/18 6:08 am

No, I'm not getting re-sleeved since they don't believe its stretched based on how much I can eat. I won't know for sure until I get there and they do imaging though. I know that will be a factor as well.

PeteA
on 5/21/18 5:10 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

If you aren't getting resleeved you may be able to start back in 2 weeks. But when you say not a lot of heavy lifting I think you need to be clear going back that you might not do any heavy lifting for the first 3 to 4 weeks post-op. I always felt I needed an afternoon nap, even if I didn't take one, for weeks 3 and 4. I think you might get by wit h2 weeks off and 2 weeks light duty but still major surgery and you can't know for sure.

Congrats, have a safe and quick surgery.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

LapGyrl
on 5/21/18 6:11 am

Thank you!!!

Recent Topics