The Power of Lentil Soup

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/12/17 7:49 pm
Ok this is partially a OMG lentils are amazing post...and partly a WOW how did I ever live without an instant pot post (yes it's a cult). I think I have posted about this before on this forum, but just in case....you can never have too much "this product keeps me regular" talk on an adult forum.

So I have discovered that eating lentils almost every day make me extremely regular. I know there are myths that DSers poop themselves....or shart glass. The reality is that I usually have 1 big bowel movement in the morning (sometimes 2) but then other days I do not...sometimes I feel it's incompelete or I haven't fully emptied out (if that makes sense). I use to take magnesium oxide at night...but that didn't always work...sometimes it did...sometimes it made my poo more like pudding but still didn't always lead to that "empty" feeling.

Anyway ...I've discovered that lentil/brown rice soup does a really good job keeping the pipes clean. I eat this multiple times a week (usually I make a pot or two a week) and have a couple of bowls a day. What makes it so easy it's I purchased an instant pot last Black Friday. I can prep the soup in about 5 minutes and just press a button and walk away. 40 minutes later, I have a product that works better than any laxative that I've tried.

So for those of you struggling...I thought I'd share.

(FYI there is nothing special about the soup: 1 onion diced, a bunch of carrots (rough cut), I throw in celery, peppers, etc when I have it or am in the mood. 1 can of crushed tomato, 1 can of rotel) 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper, 6 cups of chicken or beef stock....I usually just use bouillon) with 6 cups of water. 2 cups of lentils and 1 cup of brown rice. I add in about a lb of frozen chicken breasts. I throw this all in an instant pot. Put it on manual for 24 minutes and NPR).

But that's it. I find that because of the length of my common channel the lentils and brown rice kind of push everything through.
PattyL
on 10/12/17 8:07 pm

Yikes. OK, I love the Instant Pot. I was probably using a pressure cooker when most of you were in diapers.

I just can't bring myself to eat lentils because they look like poop. Literally. Most disgusting thing I have ever seen. And this is from someone who has eaten some mighty strange stuff. A friend of mine once had a plate of kale and lentils and honestly it looked like the byproduct of a bad case of food poisoning. I had to leave the room...

But they are good for you!

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/12/17 8:45 pm
I don't think hey look that bad! mmmmmm I never thought to throw kale in the pot with them. MMMMM MMM MMM.....I bet cabbage would be good too. I sometimes make homemade coleslaw and throw it on top. The hot/cold combo is great.

Scott
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/17 8:19 pm
Beam me up Scottie
on 10/12/17 8:42 pm
I love lentils and beans (especially black beans)....but the lentils work better. Besides lentils cook faster from dry then regular beans. I think the brown rice helps too.

Scott
Janet P.
on 10/13/17 7:22 am

A friend of mine loves her Instant Pot. I'm single so I never even owned a crock pot. Maybe it's time to give it a try because I love making soups and stews in the winter.

I've never been a bean fan (even before the DS) and have only eaten lentil soup a few times (which I do like). I've made split pea soup before so I suppose lentils are similar. Do you have any gas or bloating issues?

Maybe I found my next kitchen gadget.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 10/13/17 1:49 pm

Pressure cooking and crockpots are great for anyone! Nothing like loading up the crockpot and dinner is ready when you get home. I freeze the leftovers so I always have meals ready in the freezer.

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/13/17 6:00 pm
No actually they do not cause me gas issues like beans. In fact, I find when I fully eliminate.....I have less gas in the morning.

I would have the instant pot if I was single too. You can cook meats from frozen....in almost the same amount of time as defrosted meats. I never thaw meat anymore! Plus I like eating the leftovers for several days.

Scott

PS you should join the instant pot Facebook group/groups ...they have tons of posts about the types of food you can make.
NYMom222
on 10/22/17 2:49 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I haven't had lentils in forever, so I may try your soup... I never made it in the IP.

Just sn FYI there is an Instant Pot forum on here run by happy teacher.

Lentil soup is also very good with crumbled Italian sausage in it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/22/17 6:42 pm
Mmmmmmmm I've been meaning to make it with some beef. I never though about sausage. But that sounds good too!

Yesterday I put in some green chili's...YUMMY and spicy.