Different Post DS Diets

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/2/17 6:37 pm
Full fat is ok. Low carb is the way to get to goal. Fruit has a lot of sugar. I did eat a lot of fruit as I got closer to goal and now I eat a few pieces a day....but until I got close to goal I low carbed it.

I did drink soda after a few months (diet). I still drink diet soda. It's a personal choice.....I followed the advice of this forum and ignored my surgeon's NUT.

I made it to goal and have maintained a 300 lb weight loss....

Scott

PeteA
on 10/4/17 2:37 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I think most people are right on. Low carbs, high protein. Skip low fat labelled foods when you can. Sometimes I end up with low fat just cause I can't find the regular fat alternative. This happens once in a while with cottage cheese and yogurt but I try.

My opinion on the coffee tea thing is that it is a crock, especially if you were a steady drinker of those beverages pre-op. I would go a couple of months and then reintroduce as you want.

Start vits when you can but a lot of people don't get to the full schedule for 3 or 4 weeks after surgery.

Welcome. :)

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Squeal
on 10/7/17 3:22 pm
DS on 09/25/17

Thanks so much for all the great information from everyone.

I have another few questions if you don't mind?

I can have string cheese now, can I also have cheddar cheese etc?

As far as milk goes, they said skim, is that the norm or does the % matter.

Also with milk, I really enjoy vanilla almond milk, can I drink that? If so should I get low sugar or no sugar?

My Dr doesn't want us drinking protein shakes. Can someone suggest some protein drinks/products that I could use to get extra protein?

Thanks again everyone

Neil

PeteA
on 10/9/17 12:14 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Hi,

Any kind of cheese is fine as long as it isn't too dry for you. I did ( and still do ) a lot of American, Provolone, and Mozzarella. Sometimes Cheddar.

Skim isn't really called for. Some of us come out of the DS temporarily or permanently lactose intolerant. Mine was temporary ( 6 - 8 months ). Gave me a lot of gas before I figured it out and switched to Lactaid but cheese and yogurt never bothered me just straight milk..

I don't really know much about almond milk maybe somebody else can shed some light on that.

I think the protein shake rule is silly but some surgeons do it because they think it can keep people from transitioning to getting all their protein from food. I was happy to eat food for my protein but it was a long time before I had enough room t eat all my protein as regular food so the shakes came in handy. I'm still a bit optimum nutrition 100% whey fan, any of the chocolates

You can always do protein bars from Quest or any number of brands. I like Power Crunch bars Both of these are pretty common but I usually look for sales from Vitamin Shoppe.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Squeal
on 10/9/17 2:23 pm
DS on 09/25/17

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the input.

I ate some cheddar cheese yesterday and it was the first solid food since my surgery. I noticed I felt full the rest of the day and night. I didn't even want to drink anything because I felt so full. Is that a normal thing that will lessen as my new stomach gets used to actual food being put in it?

I feel like you about the protein, I don't know how I am going to get enough protein without some sort of protein drink or something.

One thing though I can tell I have lost quite a bit of weight already.

I bought some Fairlife milk today. It has 13g protein/cup and 120 calories and it's pretty tasty too. I didn't want to drink skim milk if I didn't have to.

Anyway thanks again for your input and help.

Neil