I don't understand this ...

cindekornacki
on 9/12/17 7:33 am

I'm drinking about 60-65 ounces a day

my day starts at 4am (I'm a school bus driver so I have a crazy schedule)

4am - 11 oz protein shake

9am (when I get home) - scrambled eggs (liquid eggs only 25 calories each and I do 2) with cheese and I will have a light string cheese or 2 pieces of bacom

11:15 (before going back into work) - either a light string cheese or a pouch of the tuna

2:00 - lunch is normally a deli snacker (deli meat basically 60 calories, 12 protein) and a light string cheese

sometimes I'll have a snack about 4-430 if I do it's jerky or cheese

6:00 dinner is like chicken breast and 1/2 cup green beans or carrots, sometimes a lean hamburger patty

calories is normally about 700-850, protein is about 99-115g, carbs are always under 30g and fat ranges anywhere from 25-45g

Crazeru
on 9/13/17 11:12 am
On September 12, 2017 at 2:33 PM Pacific Time, cindekornacki wrote:

9am (when I get home) - scrambled eggs (liquid eggs only 25 calories each and I do 2) with cheese and I will have a light string cheese or 2 pieces of bacom

11:15 (before going back into work) - either a light string cheese or a pouch of the tuna

2:00 - lunch is normally a deli snacker (deli meat basically 60 calories, 12 protein) and a light string cheese

6:00 dinner is like chicken breast and 1/2 cup green beans or carrots, sometimes a lean hamburger patty

calories is normally about 700-850, protein is about 99-115g, carbs are always under 30g and fat ranges anywhere from 25-45g

A couple of questions, why liquid eggs and light string cheese? Use real eggs, real cheese, no reason for lean hamburger patty.

At a month out, I couldn't eat that much at one sitting, maybe 1/2 of a chicken breast and 30 min later the other half.

What's in the deli snacker? crackers?

Also, are you measuring? I would measure neck, shoulders, bust, waist, belly button, hips, l&r thigh and upper and lower arms and calves. Do this weekly. There use to be a spreadsheet where you could weigh once a week, measure and fill it out and it'd calculate the inches and pounds.

Any walking or other exercise?

I never counted calories, only how much protein. Try to increase your water too.

When I stalled for 3 weeks, I lost 13".

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

cindekornacki
on 9/13/17 1:48 pm

Liquid eggs I've been doing because the book my NUT gave me for my diet said I couldn't eat under 600 calories and had to stay between 700-850 calories. 480 of those calories came from my protein drinks so the liquid eggs have the same protein but only 25 calories per egg.

Deli snacker is just little pieces of lunch meat only, 60 calories and 12 grams of protein.

I did use lean meat cause again going by the book my NUT gave me it said lean meats

As far as exercising I walk a mile 4-5 times a week. My surgeon said no gym yet, I go back next week for another follow up so I'm hoping to get cleared next week.

No ive never done any measurement, I never thought of that so I'll be doing that tonight.

chevtow41
on 9/14/17 4:49 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Stop worrying about calories. Eat more meat. You don't need lean meat or other such crap. Here's a sample of mine:

5am - hamburger

8-9am - bag beef jerky or 2 eggs (actual eggs) and 4-6 strips bacon

11-12 - ribeye/tenderloin/hamburger/chicken legs, etc

2ish- hamburger/beef jerky/ham

5-6pm - steak/burger/soup/brats/chicken--MEAT

9pm - jerky or burger

also you should be drinking 80oz minimum. I drink 64 oz between just before gym/at gym/ post workout shake (2hrs). I do well over 100oz a day.

Obviously I'm further out so I can eat more than you but you can see I eat often and I eat meat and full fat stuff. Your NUT doesn't know squat. I've never counted calories ONCE and have managed to lose 270lbs (ish) and maintain plus build considerable muscle. If you eat correctly ( high protein/high fat/ low carb) you'll do fine.

cindekornacki
on 9/14/17 5:04 pm

Wow ok. This is sooo different from what that stupid NUT was telling me and the dumb book they gave me.

Thanks for ur help I appreciate it !!!

Valerie G.
on 9/14/17 6:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're eating wonderfully for being so early out! I would kick the "light" string cheese and "lean" hamburger for full fat. YOu may not need to add fat, necessarily, but definitely do not go out of your way to eat low fat for anything. If you have a standard dS you are malabsorbing 80% of the fat you consume, so everything is low fat. Also, the removal of fat in foods results in a chemical **** storm and higher carbs than the foods would be naturally. Adding more (full fat) cheese would up your fat consumption without the side effects for most.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

cindekornacki
on 9/12/17 7:35 am

Janet P.
on 9/13/17 11:27 am

Stop counting calories. If I counted calories, I probably eat 3500 calories a day. Yes, you read the right. The hardest part with the DS is it's not a diet. It's like nothing you've ever experienced before. This is your new normal.

Someone else said - when you're hungry, eat something. Most of us graze all day long (I know I do). I eat something if I'm hungry.

With the DS you are re-learning how to eat. Start reading labels differently. Completely ignore the calories. Read protein content and carbs. In the early stages you want to keep track of your carbs.

Don't eat anything labels "diet" or "light" or "low fat" or "low calorie". My favorite comparison is salad dressing - if you read the label on "regular" dressing and "diet" dressing, the main difference is carbs. The "diet" dressing is loaded with sugar - remember sugar has no fat so when they take fat out they add sugar. So put away the "light" string cheese.

Make hard boiled eggs - a dozen at a time. Eat those as a snack - large egg has 6 grams of protein and no carbs. Deli meat and cheese are also good high protein snacks. Forget the "lean" hamburger patty - you need/want the fat. Make sure you add mayo to that tuna!

Remember, you're not on a diet and never will be again.

Patience is key when you first have the DS.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

cindekornacki
on 9/13/17 1:56 pm

This has helped me so much u don't even know!!

Hiw much fat am I needing to consume or does it matter? Or am I just worrying only protein and carbs?

This is all so different then what my NUT told me and the book they gave me 2 months before surgery, every was lean meats, low fat, under 75g carbs a day. Hopefully now that I know what I am actually suppose to be doing I will start losing instead of gaining

larra
on 9/13/17 3:37 pm - bay area, CA

Unfortunately, most NUTs give exactly the same advice to people having the DS as they dole out for gastric bypass, sleeve and lap band, even though all these operations are very different. Low fat is irrelevant for someone with the DS because we only absorb about 20% of the fat we consume. So you may as well use full fat versions of everything, which not only taste better but often have less carbs than the low fat versions. You can eat any form of protein, not just lean protein, which opens up all sorts of options for both protein sources and cooking methods. And as others have said, no need and no benefit to counting calories because you don't absorb most of the fat calories and only about 40 - 60% of the protein calories.

This is assuming you had a standard of care, 2 anastamosis DS and not the new, experimental SADI/aka SIPS/aka loop DS, which has a much longer common channel and thus lacks the selective fat malabsorption of the DS.

Larra