Ketosis

megange1
on 9/7/17 1:18 pm

Hi-

I was just wondering if there are any losanges or remedies to help ketosis. Not for the bad breath, but to help with the grossness of waking up with the super sweet taste and having it all day to the point of feeling nauseas. Also, wondering if anyone had any similar tricks for nausea. Someone mentioned ginger gumdrops. Is that a thing?

MajorMom
on 9/7/17 6:21 pm - VA

All I could do was drink lots of watered down diet cranberry juice and suck on an Altoids peppermint from time to time. I remember those days, nothing tasted right except chocolate flavored protein shakes. Just try to stay as hydrated as humanly possible. Sometimes even the nausea is hydration related. Keep us posted and I hope you feel better.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 9/7/17 7:11 pm

Ketosis is good. It means you are losing rapidly and that's the best it gets!

Donna L.
on 9/8/17 2:45 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

After a few weeks, the body becomes more adept at using fat for energy, so less is expelled through the lungs or via urine. I've been in ketosis on and off for years and don't experience that at all any more.

Drinking helps tremendously, actually. Staying hydrated helps dilute and expel it, as most ketone body by-products are expelled through urine. Far less is expelled through breath.

Ketosis is actually preferable for the brain, which greatly prefers fat for energy to glucose for the most part. It's also thought to protect against cancer and inflammation, too.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/14/17 4:53 pm
No.....I tried them all. I ended up brushing my teeth more often. It doesn't last long...the DS doesn't work by ketosis. It works because of restriction and malabsorption. I didn't stay in ketosis more than a few months.

Scott
Donna L.
on 9/14/17 5:53 pm, edited 9/14/17 3:02 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You're absolutely correct; it doesn't work by ketosis (which I did not claim), however during weight loss all of us are frequently in ketosis on and off, partially because we are using fat for energy, and partially because it's a natural biological process that occurs when certain thresholds are met for metabolic reasons. It may not be deep ketosis, but it's still ketosis. It's actually not such an uncommon thing, as most people are also in ketosis when they sleep, WLS or not, and babies are when they breastfeed, etc.

I'd actually argue after doing a lot of research it's the alteration of the enteroendocrine cells in the intestines that have a profound effect. The malabsorption absolutely is a huge cause, but the enteroendocrine cells being altered make a huge impact on weight loss, too. The biggest benefit to the DS is the metabolic alterations.

Ketosis plus a DS is pretty much invincible, though. There's frankly no better metabolic state that compliments the DS for the weight loss phase, especially.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life