Dr. Jay Roberts

MellyBean1984
on 8/19/17 8:39 am

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Dr.Jay Roberts in Fort Worth? I'm very interested in having a sleeve to ds revision but want to make sure I have a qualified surgeon. Also did anyone have to self pay? Curious to know roughly how much I maybe looking at. Insurance paid for my sleeve and I remember they said I had up to $50,000 in bariatric surgery coverage and I think my sleeve was around $29,000. So I may end up either paying part or all out of pocket. Thanks for all your help.

larra
on 8/19/17 3:20 pm - bay area, CA

Haven't heard of him before, so I looked up his website and he does have both a diagram and a description of a real, standard of care 2 anastamosis DS and not one of the new experimental procedures that are not standard of care. So that's a good sign.

You will need to ask him about how much experience he has with the DS (and not just with bariatric surgery in general) and whether or not he does sleeve to DS revisions (most DS surgeons do). And I have no idea how much you will have to pay out of pocket, that depends on your policy.

Larra

biggeekgirl
on 8/21/17 5:40 am

I'm out of the loop- what are the new DS procedures and who is doing them?

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

Valerie G.
on 8/22/17 7:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The new procedures are known as SADI, Loop DS, and SIPS. They've been around for a few years, many by surgeons who never did the DS, so it's gotta be easier. They've been billing insurance for standard DS to get it covered. It's shady at best at how they're doing this, and even if it's a great success, it's lost it's integrity from these surgeon's practices.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Slmcgal
on 8/21/17 6:42 am

I am in process of getting a sleeve to ds revision with Dr. Folahan Ayoola in Denton, Tx which isnt that much further than the doctor you are asking about. Dr. Ayoola is very experienced with this type of surgery (traditional, 2 anastomosis DS) and comes well recommended by the veterans in the DS world. Just a suggestion to check him out!

Valerie G.
on 8/22/17 7:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've not heard of this surgeon doing DS either. Just make sure you're getting the real thing, especially if you're paying for it yourself.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 8/22/17 7:44 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I was self pay at the Cleve Clinic 4 years ago for 32k. They are always on the high side though. I think Dr. Keseshian in California is cheaper and there are a few Mexico Docs that are good and cheaper.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.