DS Loop normal diet plan after surgery

Frankw19
on 7/28/17 12:59 pm
DS on 07/15/17

I am scheduled to have the DS Loop surgery 8/24/2017. I was wondering what a normal days meals or intake was for someone 6months post op or longer looks like?

larra
on 7/28/17 2:57 pm - bay area, CA

It's hard to answer your question. The loop DS, aka SADI/aka SIPS and probably aka a few other names, is experimental. No one knows what the long term results will prove to be. The best guess (and I freely admit it's a guess) is that because it has a much longer alimentary limb/common channel than the traditional, standard of care DS, you will not get the malabsorption of fat that helps make the DS the most successful bariatric surgery available. But there are some surgeons really pushing it even though it's not a standard of care operation, and using the DS code to get insurance coverage for it.

We've seen some people happy with it, at least in the short term, and others very unhappy with it.

Larra

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/17 8:43 pm
Frankw19
on 7/28/17 10:12 pm
DS on 07/15/17

Thank you so much!! It is so nice to get a response from someone who isn't just SADI Loop bashing. I am so looking forward to the surgery and trying to prepare myself for the new way of life

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/17 2:52 am
Valerie G.
on 7/29/17 5:24 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It took 20 years before the DS was considered "not experimental". Longer than that before all insurance companies caught on. Kaiser in CA still denies on the first submittal.

Some of the old timers who had to fight for the DS are a little butthurt that docs are sliding this hybrid in through insurance in DS pajamas. This makes the data skewed, so it may be to the detriment of SADI (Loop, SIPS) for future data to compare for success rates, complications etc.

I think the scrutiny is around the way it's being done through loopholes. Other than that, we're all secretly (or not so secretly) wishing that it might be a replacement for RNY.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 7/29/17 5:19 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

With this procedure not being standardized yet there is no consistent consensus of care, so most surgeons will bundle you in with every other wls procedure. I'd say just ask your surgeon what their recommendations are.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/17 9:28 pm
PeteA
on 8/1/17 9:13 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

From what I've seen of the SADI folks, here and on FB, they tend to a close approximation of the DS diet. Pay attention to protein, probably lower fat than a regular DS. I've never seen malabsorption percentages for the SADI but high protein, low carb while you are losing should feed into the strength of the SADI.

It's meant to be a less mal absorption option than the DS logically, not physically, the same.

At 6 months I would still do protein first and then add other things but, you know, the good thing about the SADI and the DS is that you are not really restricted in the types of foods. I always liked chicken so my diet is still heavy chicken oriented but at 6 months I ate less at a sitting and a little more often along with protein snacks in between meals.

Pete