Update

megange1
on 7/25/17 3:35 pm

Hi all,

So I'm about 3 weeks out of surgery. Can't lie, it's been hard. Probably more mentally hard, than physically. I was resleeved and switched, so I had an open surgery where my gallbladder and appendix were taken out at the same time. Honestly, I'm shocked at how much that actually incision and surgery sites have not hurt that bad.

I think the toughest part is trying to get my liquids in daily and just plain missing eating big meals. I'm also feeling frustrated because every day is different and there isn't a linear path towards recovery. I'm having a lot of heartburn and nausea and I'm taking pills for both that kind of help. It is just hard because one day I can drink cold water, and then poof an hour later it makes me throw up. Then I try warm liquids and I'm okay, but then the next day they make me throw up. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, I hate waking up in the morning because I'm super nauseous. Bottom line I'm getting in my liquids, but man it's a full time job.

On a happier note, I've lost 32lbs. I feel happy about that, but not as happy as I feel I should. It doesn't feel real. Last time I had the VSG I felt like my brain never caught up with my weight loss and I never felt skinnier. So, this time my doctor suggested taking a before picture in a swimsuit and putting it somewhere I have to see it daily, and then adding a new picture every 2 weeks-month to it. It is to force your brain to acknowledge changes. It's funny, I did it, but still couldn't see it. So, my husband sat with me for 10 min and pointed out every area he saw changes and made me aknowledge them. He's a good guy. I think overall, I'm feeling a tad depressed. If I could just get a handle on my nausea, I feel like I'd be happy.

Is all this normal? I'm just feeling emotional I guess. So much of life and friendships revolve around eating, I'm kind of feeling like a hermit and that I'm missing out on events with friends. My birthday was yesterday and I felt like I couldn't do anything. No cake, no celebratory drink, no fancy meal. Oh well. Sorry! Pity party table of one :)

so, that's my update. Doing okay, but still a ways to go!

PattyL
on 7/25/17 5:13 pm

There is always something you can eat so there is no reason to go without. And if it was my birthday, I would have a piece of cake! Or at least a couple bites. At social occasions/gatherings, think outside the box. There will always be something you can have!

Janet P.
on 7/26/17 9:30 am

I think for those of you who are already sleeved and then get switched its even harder than those of us who had the DS to begin with. I took pictures monthly and it really helped recognize the weight loss.

What you're experiencing is perfectly normal and will get better (I promise).

Patience is the name of the game :)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Crazeru
on 7/27/17 3:15 pm

There used to be a spreadsheet where you'd take your measurements weekly and it'd total up the inches and pounds lost. When I had my first 2 week stall, I lost 13" no pounds.

You can still order a big meal, means you have lots of leftovers. I'd get a piece of halibut from Long John Silver and it would be 3 meals for me.

I didn't have nausea, but did react to a few foods that came up immediately. Tummy just rejected what it didn't want yet.

Maybe room temp water. Remember to sip, sip, sip all day and evening.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda