Vitamin patches- Good or Bad?

megange1
on 7/6/17 9:35 am

Hi-

I just got resleeved and switched, and I got the premade vitalady vitamin packs, but I was wondering if anyone had tried vitamin patches to get in their nutrients? It will be awhile before I can get all my vitamins in, so I thought this might be a good alternative in the meantime? Maybe even long term if they work? Any thoughts?

ILoveFlowers
on 7/6/17 11:39 am

I think the general consensus is that they don't work well enough to bother with. That being said, my doctor prescribed them for me. I used them for awhile. I still use them (when I remember to get them) in addition to the vitamins I take. My labs have all come back exemplarary, so they may help. If you think about it, vitamin patches are widely used in other areas. There's a brand called Thrive that has vitamin patches, although I don't know what vitamins are in them. My friend swears by the Thrive patches--she says they give her energy and help her focus. There are women that go to my doctor that exclusively use the PatchMD MultiVitamin Plus patches and have good results, so it can't hurt to try them. I guess it's a personal decision.

hollykim
on 7/6/17 12:04 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 6, 2017 at 4:35 PM Pacific Time, megange1 wrote:

Hi-

I just got resleeved and switched, and I got the premade vitalady vitamin packs, but I was wondering if anyone had tried vitamin patches to get in their nutrients? It will be awhile before I can get all my vitamins in, so I thought this might be a good alternative in the meantime? Maybe even long term if they work? Any thoughts?

they have worked well for me. I have only used the ones fro patchmd.

NHPOD9
on 7/6/17 2:26 pm

They seem to either work really well for folks or not at all. You would only know which camp you'd fall in with regular blood work. I wouldn't suggest taking them for a long period of time, such as a year, without confirmation they are working for you. You don't want to later find out you are deficient because of them.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Beam me up Scottie
on 7/6/17 7:37 pm
it seems to be a gamble. Generally pills work consistently, which for us is better. I would rather pop a few pills than have any of my vitamin levels bottom out.

It can be really hard to fix if they do.

Scott
megange1
on 7/6/17 10:44 pm

Thank you all for your advice! It's very helpful!

PeteA
on 7/7/17 5:57 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I had mixed results with PatchMD. Like Jen above it seems to be highly variable.

You are probably at a good point to try them since people tend to have more labs run the first year post-op then later on. I think people had more luck with the multivitamin patches ( although I'm not sure how they really knew ) than they did with calcium or iron. Some people did Vit D and hoped that they would need less because the patches bypass the absorption issues.

They might be worth a try but keep a close eye on your labs.

I also thought in the end they were more expensive than just buying individual vitamins and looking for sales.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Valerie G.
on 7/7/17 7:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I did them for nearly a year, and my iron, D, A, and zinc were all low, so while it kept up on the multi's to a degree (I'm always deficient in zinc, but go toxic when I try to take more), the others that I hoped to absorb more of did not provide the results I wanted.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

dh101
on 7/7/17 3:22 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

I'm using PatchMD for Calcium/Magnesium/D3, and Glucosamine/Condroiton. My plan is to use them while my sleeve is healing. On day 8 so no blood work tests yet.

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

megange1
on 7/10/17 1:11 am

Day 8! I'm on Day 10. How are you doing?