Gastric DS

ALighterMe 1.
on 6/2/17 2:12 pm

I am scheduled for DS surgery next week and my patient coordinator sent over info packet with my date, etc. On there is says I am scheduled for a Gastric DS. What is that? Is that the same as a regular DS?

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/17 3:32 pm
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/17 3:33 pm
RosieHawk
on 6/2/17 5:40 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Who is your surgeon, we may be able to answer based on who's doing it. Well obviously you'll still need to verify with the doctor but we may be able to ease your mind a bit until Monday.

HW 290/ SW 250/ GW 140-145/ LW 120/ CW 168

REACHED GOAL IN 8 MONTHS WITH MY DS!!!
FEB.22/ 08>> DS & JAN.23/ 09>> Breast Lift, Fleur de lis abdominoplasty, hernia repair
NOTE: My weight crept back up over the last 2.5 years, but I'm gonna stop that shit NOW!

larra
on 6/2/17 10:24 pm - bay area, CA

There is no such operation. You are having either gastric bypass OR duodenal switch, which are both bariatric surgery but completely different operations. You need to make damn sure you are having the operation you want, and get it in writing. This is very worrisome.

Larra

PeteA
on 6/5/17 5:59 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I got nothing. The only thing I can think of is it is part of a form letter where they really don't care if you are having a gastric bypass or the DS so they mention both because the patient coordinator can't be counted on to figure out which one you are really scheduled for.

Just like the others make sure you get the question answered before going in.

Pete

elissa_hock
on 6/13/17 6:03 am

My letter from my insurance company said I was having that as well, but there was a number in parenthesis. I looked up the number on a medical coding site and it does say DS in the written explanation of that code.

Elissa