Self pay cost for a conversion from a VSG to a loop DS (SIPS). Doctor advice.

Donna L.
on 5/31/17 6:27 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18
On May 31, 2017 at 11:42 PM Pacific Time, livecity wrote:

Thank for you the very detailed answer about differences between fat/carbs malabsorption between the SIPS and the classic DS surgery. A lot to consider. I think i am now leaning towards the tried and true DS. I think the best option for me is getting it done by Dr. Esquerra in Mexicali as he is experienced at doing the DS surgeries as well it is affordable. Average DS costs in the US is 20k-30k. Some even quoted me $50k. That's a small fortune. Also who is Dr. K? Maybe ill contact for pricing info.

He is one of the best DS surgeons in the country... very personable, too.

https://www.dssurgery.com/about-us/ara-keshishian-md/

He is also a strong DS advocate, too :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

larra
on 5/29/17 9:12 pm - bay area, CA

The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. At present, no one knows how the loop DS/aka SADI/aka SIPS will pan out long term.

I understand your concerns about malabsorption. However, there are long term studies showing the the percentage of people with the DS who develop nutritional deficiencies is actually quite small, and almost always due to noncompliance. In other words, it's largely up to you - if you take all your vitamins and minerals and eat plenty of protein, and adjust supplements in accordance with your labs, chances are very good you will be fine. If you slack off, you will eventually get into trouble. However, this may prove true with loop DS as well. Again, we don't know the long term for this experimental operation, but time will tell.

Speaking only for myself, after struggling with my weight for years, I was far more concerned with having an effective operation that would give me durable results than I was with the small possibility of either losing too much or developing a deficiency. You've already had one operation that failed. Do you really want to take your chances on something unproven?

Larra

livecity
on 5/30/17 12:12 pm

Good point. There are a lot of pro classic DSers in here. I wonder if any Pro loop DSers can come in here and chime in with their opinions too. Let's have a good respectful debate!

Honestly i am still scared about the malabsorption aspect, since I honestly am not a fan of taking so many pills a day, and after speaking with my nutritionist I don't know how i will reach my protein goals since I need to increase my protein intake immensely. It's definately something for me to consider about the pros and cons of each.

hollykim
on 5/31/17 6:50 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 30, 2017 at 7:12 PM Pacific Time, livecity wrote:

Good point. There are a lot of pro classic DSers in here. I wonder if any Pro loop DSers can come in here and chime in with their opinions too. Let's have a good respectful debate!

Honestly i am still scared about the malabsorption aspect, since I honestly am not a fan of taking so many pills a day, and after speaking with my nutritionist I don't know how i will reach my protein goals since I need to increase my protein intake immensely. It's definately something for me to consider about the pros and cons of each.

I was given a SADI when I asked for a true DS. This was in MX. I have had all my weight loss surgeries on MX, I just chose the wrong surgeon.

i only lost 12 additional # after the SADI,and that was with eating over 100 gms of protein a day and less than 20 gms of carbs.

i also developed bile reflux that can be a side affect of the SADI.

It was confirmed by an upper gi barium swallow that I actually did not have a DS.

I had to return again, to Mx to have the Sadi reversed, using another surgeon and paying all over again.

If you can't get seriously on board with the protein and supplement requirements, you WILL get on trouble, no if's and's or but's.

livecity
on 5/31/17 11:38 am

Sorry to hear about this experience. I am considering going to Mexico for my DS conversion. Can i ask which surgeon you went back to who fixed the issue? I am considering Dr. Esquerra at the mexicali bariatric center.

hollykim
on 5/31/17 4:20 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 31, 2017 at 6:38 PM Pacific Time, livecity wrote:

Sorry to hear about this experience. I am considering going to Mexico for my DS conversion. Can i ask which surgeon you went back to who fixed the issue? I am considering Dr. Esquerra at the mexicali bariatric center.

I used Dr Ungson, atexicalli bariatrics. He left to take a government job, but he trained Dr. Esquerra, andexicalli is the only group I will now recommend.

Janet P.
on 5/30/17 5:20 am
On May 29, 2017 at 6:59 PM Pacific Time, livecity wrote:

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I've had a VSG 5 years go. I went from 300 pounds down to 173. A few years ago I had a life trauma and gained a lot of the weight back. I am now looking to convert my sleeve to either a DS, or a loop DS (SIPS).

I had a consultation with a true DS surgeon but I'm scared about all the malabsorption and vitamin deficiencies that occur. That has led me to believe the loop DS (SIPS) is the better surgery for me since the common channel would be longer and I won't be prone to extreme malabsorption like the regular DS. I know there are many posts here on this forum about the pro's and cons for each. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, i think the loop DS is the way to go.

My question here for everyone is, what is the best self pay loop DS (SIPS) doctor who can convert my sleeve to the SIPS? I have searched these forums and found dozens and dozens of posts about self pay costs and doctors for the classic DS. But not really much any cost data about the SIPS surgery.

I started compiling some information in a spreadsheet of some of the SIPS surgeons that I found in the U.S. There is only like 6 or 7 surgeons. And almost all of them told me over the phone they will get back to me with pricing. I assume because they don't know because since I'm already sleeved, it's hard for them to figure out pricing.

I called Dr. Metz in Colorado, and Dr. Cottam in Utah and they both told me the over the phone that the price for the conversion would be the same as the price as a full loop DS (no conversion). How is this possible since half of the work (my sleeve) is already done. And since half the work is already done, shouldn't it take them less time to complete the revision and thus cost less money? Plus it should be a reduced recovery time in the hospital. Something feels amiss with that. Dr Cottam said the revision would be $19k, and Dr. Metz said $23k. Does this sound right for a conversion from a sleeve cost wise?

If anyone here has been converted from a sleeve to SIPS and who is self pay, please let me know your thoughts and experiences are, as well as the costs for the conversion and which doctor performed it.

I am trying to make a decision here so I can move forward on my conversion. Any help and tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm only going to talk to your first two paragraphs since I have no experience with either the SIPS or self pay.

You say you're looking at either the full DS or a loop DS. Are you scared about all the malabsorption and vitamin deficiencies that will occur because of what the doctor told you or from what you've researched? Your statement sounds like everyone who has the DS experiences either malabsorption or vitamin deficiencies. Well, everyone with the DS does experience malabsorption - that's the whole point of the DS. The key is to eat properly for malabsorption (high protein, high fat, low carb for the weightloss). I think the majority of people who have the DS at some point develop deficiencies at some level. The point of the DS is to keep on top of your vitamins and get regular bloodwork to make sure you are not deficient, and if you are, to make the appropriate connections.

Like I said, I don't know anything about the SIPS to talk intelligently about it, so others will have to provide guidance.

Still trying to understand what you're scared of.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

livecity
on 5/30/17 12:16 pm

Yes i am scared since after consulting a classic DS doctor locally and after speaking with the nutritionist, i do not know if i can reach my protein requirements daily and stay in compliance. Being sleeved, i already take multivitams, calcium, b12, but if i get the classic DS, i would have to take multiple vitamins, and calcium a day. Plus i would have to increase my daily protein from 60 to 100 a day because of the malabsorption. And i don't know if i can get my head around that. And i already don't like taking pills as it is, so i do not know if i would stay in compliance and i could very well stay deficient and that wouldn't be good for me. That's why i gravitated towards the loop DS since the malabsorption isn't so extreme. It's a very big decision for me.

PeteA
on 5/30/17 7:15 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I can't help with the SIPS Doc but not surprising that many Docs would have the self pay cost the same. You still need all the surgery equipment, personnel, and supplies that a regular DS would entail. The pre-op and post-op care is the same also. The only real difference is the surgeons skill and the additional time the surgeon spends on the Op. The majority of costs are in all the other areas.

If you are unsure you can handle the vitamin needs of a full DS then the loop is a better bet. Being a DS person I think the DS is a better choice because you are less likely to regain but you pick your tool and work with it as far as I'm concerned. They do seem to position the loop as between a bypass and a full DS.

For what it's worth I was initially overwhelmed about what to do with vitamins but it quickly becomes part of your regular routine and I've had no problems 4 years later.

Good luck,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

livecity
on 5/30/17 12:19 pm

True, i guess you are right. But one would assume since half the work is already done (since im sleeved already) it would take them less time to do the surgery, and thus it would cost less. Not the same. Even though they have all the equipment and persons there to do it.

Thanks for your input. I am still figuring out which is the best direction to go. I wish some pro loop DSers can come in here and chime in too.