Have you heard of Dr Prachand?

GenJones
on 5/25/17 2:07 pm

I'm considering changing my surgeon from Dr Kane to Dr Prachand, at the U of Chicago. Does anyone know if Prachand does the tradition DS surgery with two anastomoses? It's hard to find that out online and the first seminar available is two weeks from now. If he doesn't do the right op (or has a reputation as someone horrible) I don't want to put off starting with my original choice.

I hope all this makes sense.

PattyL
on 5/25/17 6:21 pm

He has done more real DS than he has done the look alike surgeries. But honestly, you should be able to verify this with just a phone call.

Donna L.
on 5/26/17 1:28 pm, edited 5/26/17 6:39 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Dr. Prachand has performed hundreds (probably over a thousand at this point) DS surgeries that are traditional, and has been doing them for over a decade. My VSG surgeon, who did the DS in residency, learned to do it from Dr. Prachand when he was a resident at the University of Chicago. They are now starting to do the SADI, however they still do the traditional DS for sure. This is where my surgeon told me to go if I get the DS, because they are the best option for it in the Chicago area, in my opinion. I've also heard from other surgeons that he's a superb general surgeon, not just a WLS surgeon. More than one has said that they would let Prachand operate on them or their family members in a heart beat - which is the ultimate compliment of any surgeon, really!

They discuss it all over the U of C website, too.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Valerie G.
on 5/28/17 11:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I recall only good things about this doc.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes