Iron low

Janet P.
on 5/23/17 10:14 am

Did you really get transfusions or were they infusions? Big difference.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

chevtow41
on 5/19/17 1:09 pm
DS on 11/11/14

I'm with Beam me up, I use Proferrin. You can take it with any food and vitamins. Raised my levels nicely and doesn't upset your stomach. A little bit expensive but works so much better than any other oral iron I've tried. Sometimes you truly get what you pay for

airbender
on 5/20/17 5:39 am

I had my DS revision with a ferritin that was Low Panic, so it wasn't the DS that caused it. you didn't post your lab work results so I am not sure where you are. keep on top of it, if you are having palpitations I would get infusions, that takes a long time to build up your iron stores

I took RX iron that got me into the normal range-horray

then I had to have my thyroid removed, between the thryroid RX and Ca forget it, iron, thyroid Rx and Ca, they don't play well together. So with all that it was impossible to get in everything. so 4 years ago I started on infusions and I only have to worry about Ca and thyrod RX interaction.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Crazeru
on 5/23/17 2:16 pm

Oral supplements worked for me until 6.5 yrs out. I had no energy, felt like death warmed over, insomnia etc. Ended up with a set of 5 infusions at 7 yrs out. It still took a few months for my levels to pick up and for me to feel like a human again. My iron is dropping pretty fast now. 60 points in 7 months. PreferrinES did work for me for a few years, now it can't keep up.

Your PCP should be able to order iron infusions for you. Get in soon. Do another TIBC, & Ferritin, to force the infusions if you must. My ferritin dropped from 13, 11 to 9 in less than 3 weeks.

I'm fighting low Potassium issues. I've been on presc potassium from the start, but even the K-20's isn't bringing up my levels to 3.5 which is the low end. I did go up from 3.1 to 3.3 with taking triple the dose for 3 days and retesting. Going to try the time-released K-10 2x day with the K-20 during the night and early morning.

This is a wake up call for making sure to get your lab work done, sometimes, yearly isn't enough. I try to do iron and potassium every 6 months at least. The rest of my labs are within range, or tweak here and there.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

RosieHawk
on 5/31/17 1:48 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Had my DS in 2008 and have been getting venofer infusions regularly for years now. I absolutely cannot keep my levels decent orally. I need to be topped up every 4 months. My ferritin has dropped to as low as 2 and at that point I'm super sick feeling. I just finished 4 months (once a month x 4, each round 3 hours) and my ferritin is now 37. I'll probably drop again by late fall.

HW 290/ SW 250/ GW 140-145/ LW 120/ CW 168

REACHED GOAL IN 8 MONTHS WITH MY DS!!!
FEB.22/ 08>> DS & JAN.23/ 09>> Breast Lift, Fleur de lis abdominoplasty, hernia repair
NOTE: My weight crept back up over the last 2.5 years, but I'm gonna stop that shit NOW!