Mistakeningly authorized reversal of BPD-DS

Valerie G.
on 5/9/17 1:24 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If they only added 100cm, then you still have malabsorption...plenty enough that you still need to take vitamins or you'll wind up back in the same boat again. You have a good list of questions you need to be asking your surgeon so you know what you're working with. They'll be best to explain to you what they did and how large your sleeve is in reality.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

QueenBee7
on 5/9/17 5:18 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Hi Valerie: I am excited to get your message. It gives me a sigh of relief to know that malabsorption is still possible. ? Your comments are duly noted.

I am definitely still taking my vitamins and my labs are being monitored.

My surgeon Dr. Elariny is amazing. I've been very pleased with his care. Dr. E and his staff have helped nurse me back to good health twice. I consult him on everything bariatric!!! I have asked all of my questions and he has provided clear answers.

However, Dr Elariny was out of town when I got sick so I went to a nearby hospital and was seen by an attending physician.

I submitted my question on this forum because I wanted to know if there was anyone else who had been in a similar situation and was successful in losing or maintaining weight after major lengthening of the common channel.

This is my first time joining a bariatric forum. I thought it might be a way to get information from experienced bariatric patients who have had the DS and have been successful.

Usually, most of my information comes from research and talking to my doctors.

I hope my question wasn't too foolish.

Thanks for taking the time to respond - it means a lot.

I apologize for the long response.....

Ladytazz
on 5/7/17 9:51 pm

I had my common channel revised from 100 cc to 200 cc. I also had my sleeve revised to a RNY pouch. I also had a very large sleeve. From what I understand it is not safe to have the sleeve made smaller due to the weakness of the staple line. To much of a leak risk.

I know others who had to have their sleeve revised to a pouch. I have no regrets. I still have malabsorption because I don't seem to gain no matter what I eat. No, I don't eat junk because I get very sick if I do but I don't count calories and eat as much fat and protein as I want.

My side effects disappeared after the revision. Apparently I do better with more restriction rather than more malabsorption.

What I am trying to say is you can lose weight with a longer common channel as long as you watch what you eat. I know several people who had longer common channels from the get go and were able to get to goal and stay there.

I'm not suggesting you have a pouch because it wasn't my choice, either, but fortunately I don't have any problems with RH or other issues. If you can safely resleeve that is the route I would take but to tell the truth after all the surgery you had another one probably isn't a great idea.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Valerie G.
on 5/10/17 10:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hi Tazz. It's good to see you out here!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes