Mistakeningly authorized reversal of BPD-DS

QueenBee7
on 5/6/17 6:14 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Good Evening experienced DSers:

I am new to this forum looking for a little wisdom and guidance. I recently had the misfortune of having my BPD-DS reversed.

I've been in a state of panic since I read my post-op report following my last hospital visit.

I am desperately trying to figure out my options. Do have any options at this point?

Aside from going back in time - lol ?

I malnourished twice in two years. I had a difficult time swallowing my vitamins and no matter how much I ate I couldn't stop loosing weight. I was vitamin, iron and protein deficient. I developed a severe case of edema and I had developed chronic anemia. I thought I would bounce back like previously.

While I agree I needed some form of a revision to the common channel to increase my nutrient absorption, I never anticipated the surgeon would perform a complete REVERSAL.

I have gained 20 lbs since the reversal and the weight gain doesn't seem like it's going to stop. Despite all of my weight maintenance efforts I am continuing to gain weight weekly.

Additionally, I am hungry ALL the time and due to the large size of my sleeve I have almost ZERO restriction.

Inspite of the complications, I had reached my goal weight and was satisfied with my revision, Finally.

I think my body was still trying to adjust to the changes but what do I know.

I know this issue probably isn't common but any insight would give me some hope.

MajorMom
on 5/7/17 4:47 am - VA

Oh, man! The only thing I can think of is to find ways to increase your metabolism and stay as low carb as possible. I know staying active and exercising several times a day can increase the metabolism but there may be other ways as well (chemical and herbal). Another thing you might do is ask to have your sleeve tightened. That won't change low metabolism but it might give you control over the volume of food you eat. Good luck and keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

QueenBee7
on 5/7/17 5:31 am
DS on 02/04/14

Thanks for your response Gina. That's normally my "go to diet plan" - low carb, increase activity. However it didn't seem to help stop the weight increase. After a month, I switched to low fat low calorie. Either way scale is still creeping.

I had my metabolism checked this week and it's a little higher than normal. I had an endoscopy that shows my sleeve is oversized so I assume tightening it would help.

Do you know anyone who has had their common channel and alimentary limb lengthened?

Common Channel 100

Alimenntary Limb 250

Biliopancreatic Limb 150

Should I still have malabsorption? I am told I should but it isn't evident.

Faith46
on 5/7/17 3:42 pm
VSG on 12/09/14

Hello to you.

I would like to speak with you

Faith46
on 5/7/17 3:43 pm
VSG on 12/09/14

Contact me threw my Facebook page.

Diamond Sparkler

Laura in Texas
on 5/7/17 3:56 pm

According to your profile, you have had lap-band, VSG, DS, and now a reversal. PLEASE do not try to rush into any more bariatric surgeries. Figure out how to be successful with what you have now. You still have a sleeve. Any more surgeries could be seriously dangerous to your health.

Hunger is not an emergency.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

QueenBee7
on 5/7/17 7:56 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Good Evening Laura: I appreciate your concerns and hear your comments loud and clear. Honestly speaking, my quality of life before bariatric surgery sucked. I was diabetic and had hypertension. I suffered with sleep apnea and was obese my entire life. It is true that I had a lap band briefly - with no complications but it was uncomfortable so I had it removed.

I was very happy and successful with my VSG for almost 7 years and reached my goal weight in a year. I understand the concept of bariatric surgery being used as a tool. I successfully worked what I had. I dieted, excercised and too my vitamins. However I suddenly developed a problem with my thyroid and gained most of my weight back almost as quickly as I had loss it. All of my comobidities resurfaced and I went back on daily medications and struggled with being overweight again. Quality of life tanked.

After doing my research and consulting my bariatric surgeon I made what I feel is the best decision of my life. I revised my sleeve to a BPD-DS.

I met my goal weight again but my common channel may have been a little too short for my low BMI. So I had difficulty with stopping my weight loss when I reached my target weight.

Please know, I would never willingly give up my DS for anything but I wasn't as educated on the complications as I initially thought.

If I could do it all over again I would make a wiser choice. I would have advocated more for myself.

All in all, I just really want my tool back functioning and I'm not sure how to make that happen.

I hope you can understand. My issue has nothing to do with hunger but my need to maintain my weight is an emergency for me.

Respectfully,

Queen-bee

Laura in Texas
on 5/8/17 7:32 am

I understand the need to stay at goal. I fight to do the same every single day and have kept off 200 pounds for close to 8 years now. Bottom line is it comes down to calories in vs calories out. I can eat a ton but I choose not to because mentally I must maintain my loss.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I really do wish you well.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

PattyL
on 5/7/17 5:35 pm

A 100 cm CC in pretty average. If this is what you have, your DS was not reversed. What did you sign for(give them permission to do) on your informed consent form? Ask for a copy of your operative report and read it.

QueenBee7
on 5/7/17 7:24 pm
DS on 02/04/14

Hi Patty: Thanks for responding. My original CC was 100cm. I have my post operative report. If I'm reading it correctly, I think there was 100cm added. This would mean my CC as of January 2017 is now 200 cm. I signed consent for a revision to give me more absorption. I didn't think it would remove malabsorption completely.

My dieting efforts are rendering zero results. I am trying to get my arms wrapped around the issue while my BMI is still low. I have gained back my weight and now I'm passed my target weight.