What do I put down as the reason why I need to be out of work for 6 weeks?

ALighterMe 1.
on 4/11/17 9:10 am

I asked my employer for the forms for short term disability and FMLA and they said they needed more details about the surgery. What should my response be and I am sure they will wonder why I am going to a doctor in Mexico instead of in the states.

PattyL
on 4/11/17 1:14 pm

All you have to tell them is surgery. There are lots of privacy laws and I don't think you have to tell them everything. But there is paperwork the doc has to fill out so they will know anyway.

TvanV
on 4/11/17 3:22 pm
DS on 03/09/17

If you are asking for time off under the FMLA or CFRA a doctor's certification is all that is required, and further inquiry is not allowed.

LaceyKitN
on 4/14/17 1:17 pm - Olympia, WA

Hi. I work in HR and work very closely with FMLA issues and it isn't true that the employer can't request additional information. I just wanted to clarify that. Hopefully yours will respect the Doctor's signed medical certification but if the employer feels they need additional information to determine if the amount of time being requested off is reasonable, that doesn't violate the FMLA Act. Especially if you are requesting Shared Leave as well. Also, it will depend how your policy reads. But the Federal law usually trumps state law and policy. And then of course if you are covered by a union. ..what does your bargaining agreement say. Long winded answer though of saying that there are cases when employer's can request additional information.

NoreenRT
on 4/11/17 5:50 pm - Warner Robins, GA

The office staff for both my DS and my plastics asked if I wanted them to be vague or accurate in the description. My upper arm PS was listed as "corrective surgery".

Your employer does not have the right, under FMLA law, to know exactly what you are having done.

BTW, good luck with your surgery. This is one amazing journey.

Hugs.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

ALighterMe 1.
on 4/12/17 9:30 am

Thank you NoreenRT. Would "corrective surgery" be same as cosmetic to your employer? My manager and I all good with each other but still don't really want to say what exactly I am having besides a hiatal hernia removal.

NoreenRT
on 4/13/17 5:29 pm - Warner Robins, GA

My company is not as extensive as Airbenders. Our 3rd party for short term disability approval accepted the reason. Took the paperwork to the surgeon and before I could tell them that I didn't wNt my employer to know, they made several suggestions on the wording.

trust them, they've done this more than once. ?

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

airbender
on 4/11/17 7:29 pm

this depends on who is asking? your manager only needs to know you will be gone. if you are filling out paperwork for FMLA and your employer uses a 3rd party, they decide by YOUR procedure if you are allowed for the time your dr is asking. under hippa they cant disclose any PHI (protected health information) to your manager. it doesn't matter where you go, MX etc any dr can sign you out, but it does have to be a legitimate medical reason, and my employer's medical absence requires CPT codes and chart notes.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

TvanV
on 4/14/17 3:09 pm
DS on 03/09/17

You can always call the U.S. Dept of Labor and they can tell you exactly what can and can't be asked. Department of Labor: (866) 4-USA-DOL

imjustanobody
on 4/15/17 11:43 am

6 weeks off for what? Unless you do extremely physical labor 6 weeks is a bit excessive. I have a business and work at the computer and was in my customers offices 3 days after surgery. I can't imagine taking off 6 weeks.