I'm going with the DS, now what?

jkap19
on 4/10/17 2:14 pm

I'm going with the DS. Even after my good friend had the RNY and her surgeon won't perform the DS because it's ineffective and an old procedure. So I'm curious and I know I have to figure out what works for me but what's it like those first few months? What do you eat when your on a liquid diet, a pureed diet, a soft foods diet? My first consult is 5/11/17 and I can hardly stand it now that I've decided. I've done a ton of research but want to hear what life is like those first few months to start mentally preparing myself for the change.

Thanks!!!

larra
on 4/10/17 2:28 pm - bay area, CA

If a surgeon really told you or your friend that the DS is old and/or ineffective, it was a lie. The DS is a well established, standard of care bariatric operation that has been done in the USA for over 25 years - which still makes it newer than gastric bypass. It has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintenance of that weight loss, and for permanent resolution of almost all comorbidities. In other words, it is the MOST effective bariatric surgery available today. If that surgeon has chosen not to perform the DS, that's his choice and that's just fine. All that means is that you need a surgeon who does do the DS. Not every bariatric surgeon does the DS, so before you go to that consult, check to make sure the surgeon does it so you won't be wasting your time and money.

The first weeks/months are tough, but you get past that and it's more than worth it. More info in a pm, so be on the lookout for it.

Larra

Jean_pa
on 4/11/17 8:18 am
VSG on 04/07/14

Hi Larra

I had a VSG in 2014 and have gained a third of my weight back. Admittedly a large part of it is poor diet and lack of exercise. However, I am also having issues with GERD and regurgitation. My Dr wants to "complete" the sleeve with a DS. I am excited and terrified. I would love as much information as you can share from someone who has been there/done that.

Thanks!

Jean

larra
on 4/11/17 8:58 am - bay area, CA

Jean, I had the DS as a one and only bariatric surgery, not as a revision, so I have no personal experience as a revision. But I do think the worst part of the recovery was from the sleeve, and you've already done that. The "switch" part will give you malabsorption and metabolic changes that will help you maintain your weight loss, but you'll still have to do the low carb diet to get the results you want.

More info for you in a pm, so be on the lookout for it.

Larra

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/10/17 5:22 pm, edited 4/10/17 10:22 am
The first few months SUCK! (I think it's that way with any surgery). I was only able to tolerate soft foods, but I didn't have stages. I was allowed to eat whatever I could tolerate. The DS is not like the RNY- it's not about caloric intake. I lost weight quickly- I made it to goal (-300 lbs) in just over a year. It was life changing.

The hardest part about the first few months is just eating enough and drinking enough liquids. After that- just stay low(er) carb until you get to goal. I never counted calories- I did count carbs for a while and then once I got to goal, I ate whatever I wanted.

Scott

PS Everyone is different. Some people have to be more careful than me in terms of their eating. #guypowers
PattyL
on 4/10/17 6:40 pm, edited 4/10/17 11:40 am

Really? You can read medical papers about WLS all night long and you won't find anything better than the DS. The results are superior for losing the weight and keeping it off. I wouldn't be letting your friend's surgeon cut me open. He hasn't even studied up on his own specialty.

I had my surgery when dinosaurs still roamed the earth and I had no restrictions at all. I was literally eating steak 10 days postop. Honestly I think all the restrictions and food progression came about because patients expected and even insisted on it!

I had 1 soft meal in the hospital and after that it was whatever I could tolerate. I'm sure you will end up with something draconian!

BTW 8 of my coworkers had the RNY in the early 2000's. I was the only DSer. Today all those RNY peeps weigh more than they did when they had surgery. I am the only one who still looks OK. I would still like to lose more weight but I just look average. The RNY doesn't bypass enough. At about the 2 year mark, the body adapts and the regain begins. Sad! Just when they think they have beaten the fat, here it comes again. The cruelest joke of all.

Question your surgeon and make sure you are getting a true 2 anastomosis DS. And if the words SADI or LOOP are used, run. You are NOT going to get a real DS.

jkap19
on 4/11/17 6:32 am

Thanks for the responses. I am not using my friends surgeon. I was just shocked to see everyone's response based on what her surgeon said. I have always thought the DS was the best choice for me from the get go. It makes the most sense and this forum just solidified my decision. I still have to have a discussion with my surgeon but I know he performs the DS and he's in a center of bariatric excellence so I feel pretty confident. I also know they do a true DS and not the SADI or single loop because in the seminar I attended they mentioned that was something they were going to do in the future. I appreciate the responses to my questions and for everyone being candid. I honestly don't know what food routine my doctor will have me on yet but just wanted to get some kind of idea from everyone on here. I know relearning how to eat is going to be difficult at first with new plumbing but I also feel it will be worth it in the end.

PeteA
on 4/16/17 8:47 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I found the first two weeks the worst. Even at that, looking back, it wasn't so bad. Pain meds in the hospital for the first couple of days then less and less over the first 2 weeks at home. I was OK with the phased diet my surgeon had me on. Liquids, then puree, then soft food.
I did better with the ;liquids when I realized I was able to drink warm liquids better than cold for some reason. I tried one of the pre-mixed protein shakes a little early. That was a mistake I din't make again. It was a constant learning/guessing experience over the course of a couple of months of trying different foods, figureing out how to handle the fact that I no longer knew when I was full, just day to day stuff. Even the drain in me for the first 2 weeks home was a pain but just something to handle. I really liked the strained soup on the liquids section and beef/chicken broth.
I would say that I could tell I was getting better after about 5 weeks. I was healing all along but that was whn I noticed that it was easier to get around, get up and sit down, etc.
LOL. I did have a problem that I came out of surgery lactose intolerant and part of my take home diet was to add powdered milk to a lot of things for the protein. It gave me a lot of gas till I figured it out.
Like I said, it was major surgery but the recovery was just not as scary as I thought pre-op and a lot better than I've seen from some of the other people.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

TvanV
on 4/17/17 7:44 pm
DS on 03/09/17

I agree with PeteA. I had my DS five weeks and three days ago, and it was almost like a switch was thrown right at the five week mark. I feel remarkably more normal this week. That said, I still have tremendous restriction and can't tolerate a whole lot of foods, particularly dense ones.