I really need you guys

Gavin B.
on 4/10/17 10:58 am - Orlando, FL

BCBS will not pay for a revision. I need to provide documentation that I complied with original post operative dietary and exercise program. I only visited the surgeon twice after my surgery. I will not be able to provide what they request.

larra
on 4/10/17 12:21 pm - bay area, CA

Gavin, do you have anything else that might show compliance? Diet records? Visits with your pcp? Anything?

On the other hand, if you have the funds to self-pay, you could go to one of the DS surgeons experienced with these difficult and risky revisions, rather than to the one guy in-network who may or may not have ever even done one. I hate to see anyone forced to self-pay for medical care that should be covered, but sometimes it does work out for the best (for your health if not for your pocketbook).

Larra

Gavin B.
on 4/10/17 12:40 pm - Orlando, FL

I visited my PCP only when I got sick. Not to talk about my diet or exercise program. I dont have the $$$ to self pay. :-(

I called BCBS and the rep told me that she does not think I will get denied just for that. Of course, I did not beleive her.

IntrepidBookworm
on 4/13/17 3:39 pm

Gavin, I'm starting with a BMI of 52.8 and had my initial consultation yesterday with my bariatric surgeon. When we were going over the options for surgery, he highly recommended the DS for me specifically because of the amount of weight I need to lose. He mentioned that people who start with a BMI of over 50 usually have the best long term results with the DS and he noted that many of those who had chosen other procedures, or were not offered the DS, are turning to modify their procedures. I don't know how that works with the RNY because the upper part of the procedure is so different from the DS; however, with everything I've read over the last six months while trying to make this decision, I'd have to have a couple of opinions by well educated and seasoned doctors before doing the suturing procedure. The DS has a long standing success rate and even though it is initially more involved than some of the other procedures, the benefit of long term weight loss can't be beat. Of course, that is not without a trade off. For me, the lifelong vitamin regimen is not a big deal, I all ready take several supplements. For others, it might be more than they can do. So much depends on our environments and support networks. Let us know what you decide to do and your reason for choosing that route. : -)