Benefit of having Gallbladder Removed?

ALighterMe 1.
on 4/7/17 11:14 am

Considering having a DS after failed VSG. Please let me know what is the benefit of having your gallbladder removed besides not having or developing stones? Also did you have to pay to have yours removed or was it all in the same package? A doctor I contacted in Mexico is charging $1500 to have it removed.

Crazeru
on 4/7/17 4:04 pm

It's one more thing that can be ignored when there are problems. My surgeon took out gall bladder and appendix. If I have gut issues, it'd most likely twisted intestines.

Several folks end up having their gall bladder removed 6mo to a yr after their DS.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

megange1
on 4/9/17 3:20 pm

I see that you are a patient of Dr. Rabkin. I'm considering having my revision with him and he plans to take out my appendix and gallbladder too. How painful was it to have that all done at once? Was your surgery open? If you don't mind me asking?

Crazeru
on 4/10/17 11:18 am

Dr Rabkin generally does lap. There was pain while I was in the hospital, but I think I only took a few pain pills after I got home. Uncomfortable feeling mostly. I took off 8 weeks and needed all of it. If I did too much one day I was exhausted for the next 2.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

PeteA
on 4/8/17 10:56 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I kept my Gall Bladder and had no problems. I'm 4 years out. While I know the rapid weight loss can lead to gall stones for some and that some people do have to have them out later I've never seen anything that really linked that to the DS. It just seems to me if you have no indications of GB problems than I'm not sure spending the extra money is worth while.

I know some surgeons package it with the DS but mine considered it unnecessary and didn't do it unless there was some other reason. It would have been an extra charge for me.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

PattyL
on 4/8/17 1:03 pm

When a patient presents with abdominal distress and is female, fat, and over 40, the first thing they look at is the GB. If you have been heavy, there is a good chance it is diseased anyway. I insisted mine be removed. Too many people over the years have kept theirs and ended up with another major surgery to remove it less than a year post DS.

Valerie G.
on 4/9/17 11:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My doc took it out (and appendix) as a precautionary purpose too. First, since many patients wind up needing it removed within 2 years because the drastic dietary changes cause stones. Second if you have any acute abdominal pain, they can rule those out immediately.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

andrea0415
on 4/13/17 5:25 pm

I had a DS in 12/12. Dr. checked and my GB was empty so he left it. By 09/15, I HAD LOST 185 pounds and was in the ER with the worst substernal pain I had ever experienced. It was gallstones as big as an inch in diameter. I ended up removing my GB after my surgeon said that it could become gangrenous. Wi**** had just come out during my DS.

I also developed kidney stones, ended up septic, and was hospitalized in 07/16. But, the kidneys had to stay, so...

Gallstones and kidney stones are a byproduct to some of us with rapid weight loss and high protein diets.

Not everyone gets them...

andrea0415
on 4/13/17 5:28 pm

For some reason, it censored the words wish and it.