VSG to DS Revision Questions

megange1
on 3/10/17 1:46 am

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had VSG to DS revision surgery and if you could answer some questions. I'm considering having this surgery with Dr. Rabkin and he has said he'll need to do it as an open procedure and remove my gallbladder and appendix at the same time. I will need to be resleeved because my sleeve is 10 years old and too big. So, I have some questions for anyone who may have had a similiar surgery.

1) How painful was it? Are open procedures way more painful?

2) How long was your recovery really before you were up and about? How long until you could go back to work?

3) Are you happy you decided to do the surgery?

4) Any regrets?

5) Has anyone had this done laparoscopically and has a doc they recommend?

Any help would be great! Honestly, I'm terrified and just want to know if I'm making the best decision in the end.

larra
on 3/10/17 10:34 am - bay area, CA

I can't answer your questions from personal experience, but I can tell you that the probable reason he needs to do your surgery open is the resleeve. It sounds like such a simple thing, but it isn't. The surgeon has to be sure to remove the entire old staple line and not place staples on top of the old staples. That could leave a small area with a poor blood supply, which would eventually die and cause a leak days later - which is a very serious complication.

You've chosen an excellent and very experienced DS surgeon who has done lots of revisions, including RNY to DS revision, which is much tougher than what you are having. We are seeing more and more people revising from sleeve to DS all the time, as the long term results just aren't what people want or need. You are not alone, and the need for the revision is the fault of the original operation, not you.

Larra

PeteA
on 3/10/17 1:22 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

No first hand experience here either. I looked at this because my surgeon warned me that depending on what he found when he started the DS surgery he may have decided to just do the VSG and then come back later to do the switch. From my research at the time:

Not more painful but I think a little longer on the recovery side.

I haven't seen anyone who had this done say they ahd any special issues or any real regrets. There is always some wondering in the first week or two but after that people seem happy with the results.

I don't know if anyone would do this any differently. I just know that Rabkin is spoken of highly in several groups I belong to.

Have a safe surgery, I don't think you'll regret it.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Snowbutterfly
on 3/10/17 2:31 pm

I'm also converting VSG to DS. Probably end of april/beginning of may. I'm not an expert of all surgeons but yours probably prefers the open technique. I also have to get a resleeve because mine is shaped like an hourglass and my surgeon is doing it laproscopicaly.

I never had open stomach surgery, but I did have a c-section so I have some reference to compare. My incisions on my VSG didn't hurt at all. I was even able to sleep on my side. I felt the internal pain of course but the incisions were fine. I was up and about 2 weeks later.

My c-section on the other hand hurt alot. I could only sleep on my back and only propped up. It took at least 6 weeks to start feeling normal.

If your uncomfortable with the surgery open, I would suggest asking your doctor to do it laproscopicaly (perhaps with the new da Vinci machine if he needs more help), or shop around for another surgeon.

When are you getting yours done? If u don't mind me prying, how much do u have to lose?

megange1
on 3/10/17 2:42 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of doing it mid April. I have about 100 lbs to lose. I have knee issues, so I've been really immobile recovering from a knee surgery, so I want to give myself the best chance of getting weight off, so I can walk normally again. Dr. Rabkin did say people do it laproscopically, but he was clear that he thinks it is much safer to do it open. It makes sense. It makes me nervous and I'm not excited about the scar, but I'd rather do what is ultimately safest for me. I'm just really scared of the pain because my knee surgery was really extensive and hard to recover from. Thank you for your advice!

Snowbutterfly
on 3/10/17 9:37 pm

I don't blame ya, I'd be nervous too. I read a few of your past posts, It should be similar to your abdominal plastics. Except since they have to go through muscle/nerves it will probably feel like you did a whole bunch of sit ups. Don't be surprised if you have some numbness tho.

So sorry to hear bout your knee. I bet losing the weight will help alot. I look forward to hearing how things go, Best of luck !

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/10/17 10:27 pm
I did not have a revision, but I did have an open DS.

It was painful, I won't lie. Recovery took longer than the lap procedures everyone else was getting. I was almost 500 lbs at the time of my surgery, my doctor at that time only did open surgeries on SMO people.

I was up and about after about a week (again, I was 500 lbs...so that is a bit different than just being 100 lbs overweight). It took me about 6 weeks to feel somewhat normal again.

(no regrets, very happy, would do it again in a heartbeat....there are not very many people on this site that can say they have maintained their weight loss 11 years out).

Scott
* Nicole *
on 3/11/17 2:39 pm

How painful depends on the person. Wasnt bad for me and I was an open procedure. I was back to work in 2 weeks. My surgeon preferred open because he liked to check the other internals just incase something may have been missed (he actually caught cancer and tumors in a handful of folks).

At 11.5 years out still the best decision of my life. I regret nothing. Most no body can tell I had surgery and its nice to not have to demonize food. Cause truely food wasnt my issue, yay for a genetic mutation! Actually I have to eat more now post surgery than pre surgery (yeah go figure on that,lol).

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."