DS or Loop DS? I'll still want to EAT!

Dandr1214
on 3/5/17 12:04 pm, edited 3/5/17 12:16 pm - Colonia, NJ

I am a 69 year old 5'7" male weighing 325 lbs. I am considering either a DS or Loop DS. It is my desire to eventually enjoy eating all of my favorite foods with as few restrictions and as much as I desire. I have read a few blogs where people who have had the old fashioned DS have been able to do so. Are there any of you who have had the Loop DS who have had similar experiences?

larra
on 3/5/17 6:56 pm - bay area, CA

Loop DS, aka SIPS/aka SADI is an experimental procedure that is not standard of care. Long term results are not well documented at this point. However, since the whole point of loop instead of standard RNY DS is to have less malabsorption, it stands to reason that it would be easier to lose excess weight and, especially, to sustain that weight loss, with the standard DS that we know and love. In particular, the loop DS will have less malabsorption of fat, which will translate to being less free with fat consumption, which in turn limits the forms of protein that are good choices (i.e. lean protein only instead of any protein, limit things like butter, mayo, and anything else with a high fat content.

One of the great things about the DS, IMHO, is that it allows for the most normal and varied diet of any bariatric surgery while at the same time creating the highest percentage excess weight loss and best maintenance of that weight loss of any bariatric surgery. I believe these facts to be related. It also has the highest rates of permanent resolution for almost all comorbidities. I don't know how well loop DS will do on that issue, but then again, no one else knows either.

You are starting with a high bmi. You have expressed the desire to continue to enjoy eating. For many, maybe most people, eating is one of the pleasures in life, and I see no reason that people should be denied that pleasure unnecessarily.

And all that is aside from the issue of insurance coverage. Most insurers don't cover any non-standard, experimental procedures. Of course that doesn't matter if you're self-pay. Some surgeons are using insurance codes creatively to get this non-standard procedure covered. I would be wary of that.

Larra

PattyL
on 3/6/17 9:58 am

You know what you are getting with the DS.

PeteA
on 3/7/17 8:17 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

People have success with both. While neither usually limits the type and variety of food each has it's own emphasis.

The whole idea of loop DS is less malabsorption and you have to keep that in mind for later. I was always an up and down dieter. I could lose but then gain back. The big worry about the Loop long term is gaining weight back over time. This can happen with either but less likely with the traditional DS in my opinion.

WIth the traditional DS you have to have more emphasis on getting in your protein and vitamins. That is still an issue with the loop but not as big a one as with the DS. I'm a meat eater and was happy with a protein first type diet and got into the vitamins no problem.

I think the fact that you want to eat as much as you desire could be an issue. The VSG part will prevent that upfront for either option but you will get back more capacity over time. However, over time I've found that eating as much as I want has changed. Now when I eat as much as I want it is mostly a normal meal size and not the quantity I ate pre-DS and I think that is an important idea to come to terms with.

I love my DS and wouldn't trade it for anything at 4 years out.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Dandr1214
on 3/7/17 6:27 pm - Colonia, NJ

Thank you Lara, PattiL, and PeteA. That's 3 for the DS and 0 for the DS Loop. Definitely leaning toward the DS thus far.

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/17 12:15 am
(deactivated member)
on 3/14/17 7:52 am

from what I understand from my surgeon, loop DS is far more effective then DS. I couldn't have it because of reflux. If you are looking for an easy way out without life changes, you are probably wasting your time.

Marisabsanchez
on 10/11/17 10:09 am - Stockton, Ca
Revision on 12/18/14

In my honest opinion

... Do intensive research before you commit... I had surgery in December 2014. I stuck to my program about 90percent of the time... Life happens an I have a regain of 25 pounds... I don't have surgery to not lose weight... It is so depressing.

Marisabsanchez
on 10/11/17 10:51 am - Stockton, Ca
Revision on 12/18/14

Had "loop D's" in 2014.. lost about 80 pounds.. never made a healthy weight.. within this last year's have had a 25 lbs reagun..CW.226 stuck to the diet faithfully regain has caused more pain than before.. how does a person fail when they stick to plan and don't make a healthy weight.. go Down.S to avoid a revision