Malabsorption after 12 years

gossimer1969
on 3/2/17 7:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I had DS surgery in December 2005, so I am 11 years out. I was wondering if there are statistics on how much our absorption changes through the years. For example, after surgery a DS aborbs approximately 20% fat, 60% complex carb and protein and 100% sugar. What about after a number of years has passed? I know bodies are good at adjusting to get what they want, not necessarily need. I don't feel like my eating has changed a whole lot (I have just started a food diary again to keep track just in case), but I have put on a significant amount of weight over the last year.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Colleen

Valerie G.
on 3/3/17 7:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm October 2005 and I eat a lot differently than I did my first two years, so I'd never claim that my eating hasn't changed. I swear I eat more than my husband over the course of a day, so I'm a firm believer that malabsorption is still at play in a big way.

How much weight is a lot to you? It's common to regain 15-20% of ewl over time. I've only gained about 20 lbs (14% of ewl), so I'm not concerned since I pretty much eat what I want within reason. I just want to make sure you're being realistic.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

gossimer1969
on 3/3/17 8:48 am

Hi Valerie,

After reading your post I realized I wasn't clear, when I said my eating hadn't changed, I was actually referring to in the last couple years.

I started out at 520 and had a RNY which took me down to 380. When I followed up with a different surgeon he said he never would have done a RNY on me and recommended the DS. With the DS I dropped down to 225 maintained that weight for a couple years and then over a few yeas it creeped up to 275 where it had stayed from about 2012-2016. Then in the last six months I have put on 50 lbs. My eating will fluctuate, between good and bad and my weight tends to go up and down 5-10 lbs, but this is a lot.

PattyL
on 3/3/17 2:36 pm

You are probably a superabsorber. I am too.

The body always does it's best to adapt. It wants to get back to fat in our case. There is little malabsorbtion in the standard proximal RNY. By the time you get to the 2/3 year mark, it's gone because the body adapted. And the gain begins.

I absorb more now than I did in the beginning. If I am not very low carb, I gain. I hate this but it's true.

gossimer1969
on 3/3/17 3:09 pm

So frustrating that the body manages to absorb the calories to put on weight but no vitamins, which have levels dangerously low no matter what I do. I'm going to concentrate on low carb again. Thank you so much. I feel better just talking to someone. Off to pintrist to try and find some new breakfast, dinner, and dessert recipes that are low carb/low sugar!

patngin
on 3/4/17 7:01 pm - Nine Mile Falls, WA

I sure wish I could put anything on even 5 lbs but I can't. My malabsorbtion has definately increased. I stayed at 175 for 5 years after my bout with malnutrition then I started gradually losing again and never stopped. I am now at 134 with my prosthetic legs on which weigh about 15 lbs. I'm 5'10" male. I don't lose it fast maybe a pound or so every 2-3 months but cannont stop it. At my lowest when I was being treated for malnutrtion I was 114 without my prosthetics after losing my legs while in a coma from it cause my heart was down to about 15%.

gossimer1969
on 3/4/17 7:34 pm

I am so sorry to hear that. How did the treat the malnutrition?

patngin
on 3/5/17 1:58 pm - Nine Mile Falls, WA

The way it was treated in the start was with a feeding tube while I was in a coma then contiuation of the same protein and heavy doses of Vit D. Was drinking 3 protein shakes a day of the Metagenics Perfect Protein that is specially forulated for bariatric patients and is supposed to be the easiest protein there is to absorb. It sure worked on me. Should have stayed on it but went for a cheaper alternative. Don't know if that would have made the diff though. I am 17 years out and I think the small portion of my intestine that was absorbing has just been failing a little more all the time. It sure worked for me went from 125 to 175 with just that protein and regular food and high potency vitamins and several other supplements.

patngin
on 3/5/17 2:00 pm - Nine Mile Falls, WA

I was only 7 years into it then and it was my fault and Heaps for not informing me about the need for supplements.

* Nicole *
on 3/6/17 5:06 am

First Im so sorry to hear of your problems. I got the shivers when I read Heap. That wasnt a surgeon he was a butcher. He has quite an ugly reputation.

I would just eat if I was you, go protien first but no holds barred otherwise. Up your vites drastically. And it may not hurt to contact a very well known DS surgeon to see if they can suggest or help. As your issues require a good experienced surgeon, Dr. K in Cali would be my first suggestion as a call.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."