Poop!!!

countryham
on 1/28/17 4:27 pm

Hey folks I'm new and have a question. Just had DS on Thursday and I need to go potty but cant. Is there something I can take or what do you recommend? 

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/28/17 6:57 pm
Plenty:

Probably best to talk to your doctors office, but Miralax should work.

I take magensium oxide almost everyday and a stool softener at night to keep things flowing. (I've been eating a really high fiber diet and it makes things a bit harder).

Scott
countryham
on 1/29/17 8:38 pm

Thank's Scott.. I will give it a try. I am  feeling a little better today. Hopefully this will soon improve.

scaryreader
on 1/30/17 12:34 pm - Chicago, IL

I am SO confused about fiber. Some say it helps you go, and some say it prevents you from going too much. For years I've been going ten or more times a day and I ALWAYS have rumbling sometimes painful gas. I've talked to my surgeon about it but got no relief. Also I thought fiber causes gas.Believe me, I don't need anything to cause more gas.

Eve
hw:400+
sw:340
cw:163

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/30/17 6:42 pm
I think it is just how your intesnstines react.

For me it depends on the fiber. Vegetable fiber (from salads, fruits, lentils- will cause me to go to the bathroom more. The salad (with high fat dressing) would cause me to get gassy.

Too much fiber from "unnatural" sources makes me have really HARD poos, "sharp" poos. I've had been eating Atkins bars-2 or 3 a day and I didn't know why I was having a hard time with my morning BM. It was the bars. Same with high fiber lower carb breads such as the low carb tortilla wraps.

I limit my Atkin's bars to 2 a day, and I have to limit those "bread" sources. Now I've increased my magnesium oxide to 800 MGper day sometime 1200mg. I also take a stool softeners. If I I gave up the atkins bars and went back to white bread....i'd wouldn't need either.

Scott
JazzyOne9254
on 2/2/17 7:23 am

Make sure you are getting all your fluids in.  Fluids are key to preventing and treating constipation. 

My program recommends 64+ ounces daily. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

hollykim
on 1/30/17 9:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 29, 2017 at 12:27 AM Pacific Time, countryham wrote:

Hey folks I'm new and have a question. Just had DS on Thursday and I need to go potty but cant. Is there something I can take or what do you recommend? 

you will likely need something long term, maybe forever. This is a issue that is almost a given for those having wls. Your best bet is to develop a program for yourself long term now

countryham
on 1/30/17 9:42 pm

Hey Kim thank you .. Any suggestions are appreciated.

hollykim
on 1/31/17 7:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 31, 2017 at 5:42 AM Pacific Time, countryham wrote:

Hey Kim thank you .. Any suggestions are appreciated.

a lot of ppl add fiber pills to help. You have to do that carefully cause sometimes that makes it worse, as it did for me. 

I actually got an anal fissure from the constipation, and my colorectal surgeon gave me this regimen:

6 stool softener soft gels every night. 

If no bm by the next night take Miralax in no more than 6 ounces of liquid. He said don't mix it ina whole bottle of drink cause then it is too diluted to work well. 

Continue with the stool softeners increasing as needed. You can't take too many.

only take the Miralax if you haven't had a bm by bed time each night.

Hope this helps.

Bean08
on 1/31/17 7:52 am

I wondering if this is the DS forum?  I have never had an issue with constipation at all...in fact my doc said my stool will be very loosest of the time.  I looks like there are several people with the same problem and I'm wondering if I'm in the wrong forum?  computer glitch?