Traditional DS or SADI loop

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/16 3:10 pm, edited 12/29/16 5:55 pm
summerset
on 11/27/16 1:48 pm

Not necessarily. There is also MGB which is not the same as RNY bypass.

hollykim
on 11/22/16 10:57 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 21, 2016 at 7:33 PM Pacific Time, roudoudou wrote:

Hi, everyone!  I know this is a controversial topic but would appreciate advice and input.  I am finally committed to having WLS, and after initially thinking I wanted to get the sleeve, then thinking the gastric bypass would make the most sense, I am now very interested in the DS after doing a lot of research.  My insurance has a "one WLS per lifetime limit" and I want to get the surgery that will give me the biggest chance of losing (and keeping off!) my excess weight.

Went and saw a surgeon last week, and he says he only does the newer loop procedure (per him, because of less chance of malabsorption and bad diarrhea).  Said he wouldn't do the regular DS on me (BMI is 45) but said maybe one of his colleagues would, so I have a consult with him tomorrow.

The lack of long-term success data on the loop concerns me.  I've taken medication since I was 12 years old and am not concerned about being able to comply with a vitamin regimen.  I also like the idea of being able to eat with somewhat less restriction on variety with the DS.  And finally, I do suffer occasionally from heartburn and am worried about the increased likelihood of that with the loop due to the "gravity-defying" principles.

On the other hand, I know the loop has been done for a good while in Europe and they seem to have their act together, healthcare-wise.  :) 

Would love to hear some objective arguments for either one or the other (I know this is a topic people have strong feelings on).  I really want to get the surgery that will actually work for me and don't like the idea of having to "convince" my surgeon but it does just seem like this is becoming popular because it's easier to perform, not because it works as well as the traditional DS.

Thanks!  Happy Thanksgiving!

I was given a Sadi when I asked and paid for a dS. 

Despite being totally onnplan and by that I mean high protein and nearly no carbs, often less than 20 gms a day, I still only lost an additional 12 pounds. I converted from a VSG to what should have been a dS.

After about a year, I began having some kind of increased reflux. I already had acid reflux  so found tell ifit was increased acid or something else.

An egg showed that it was bile reflux which can be a side affect of the Sadi which is actually a take off on the Billroth II procedure. You can google that for info. 

I had to go and have the Sadi revised to a true dS and the bile reflux went away. I was also able to lose the rest of the weight I need d to lose.

the surgeon who did the Sadi has been around for 20 years so he certainly knew what he was doing.

If you want just one surgery and the one that works the best long term, I recommend the true dS.

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/16 3:15 pm
hollykim
on 11/26/16 3:42 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 26, 2016 at 11:15 PM Pacific Time, jmuldune wrote:

He probably know the DS from his past 20 yrs but may have been a relative newbie on the SADi. The people with surgeons that have experience and integrity (meaning the surgeons tell you the facts upfront and you make the decision) seem to all do really well with the SADi.

The upside that no one talks about here is about 1/3rd the vitamins (maybe $25 per month), low risk of malabsorption, and less surgical risk. It's a big deal and game changer for many people. 

the only thing new about the Sadi is it's being used for weight loss. 

It is a variation of the Billroth II procedure which is not new and every surgeon learns it. 

My gastroenterologist took one look at the diagram of the Sadi I brought him and said oh it's a take off on the Billroth IZi. He confirmed than on scoping me.

insurance DOES NOT cover the Sadi. Your surgeon must have coded it under a different , covered code number, Therefore,he committed insurance fraud.

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/16 8:52 pm
hollykim
on 11/27/16 1:28 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 27, 2016 at 4:52 AM Pacific Time, jmuldune wrote:

I'd be surprised if the surgeon misrepresented anything to the insurance company. He seems to have a high degree of integrity to me and is very reputable in the WLS field. I would expect (and hope) the SADi DS is now more of an accepted standard by the insurance companies and is covered as such. I know the bill was very high and they did cover it. My policy thru work is expensive but generally covers a lot.

If I could do it all over, I would definitely still choose the SADi DS for the same reasons as before: lower risk of malnutrition, much fewer vitamins, lower surgical risk and at least for the few years of info available, and my own personal experience, the results are extremely good.

I'm not discounting the value of the original version, but the elimination of some big downside and so far keeping the upside is well worth serious consideration. 

well,you are mistaken. It is still considered experimental and is not covered. So call it what you will,your surgeon had to misrepresent what was done.

Valerie G.
on 11/22/16 11:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Here's something else to consider.  Call your insurance company and ask if they cover SADI as a weight loss surgery.

I say this because many surgeons offices of lessor integrity have sold it to the insurance company as two 'covered' procedures, but not necessarily for the reason of weight loss.  This is fraud, and if the insurance company gets wind of it, they can refuse to pay it, and you will have signed a paper saying you will compensate the doc for whatever insurance won't cover.

If they don't cover SADI just as you say it, then don't take the chance.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/16 4:21 pm
(deactivated member)
on 11/22/16 4:23 pm, edited 12/29/16 6:06 pm

Deleted